Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Acceptance Phone Calls  (Read 1763 times)

kernelgt

Re: Acceptance Phone Calls
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 11:55:35 PM »
Yes, percent accepted versus applied.  Greater selectivity = more USNWR points.  And my point about yield protection is that because they have so many waivers and so many people apply, they need to see where everyone else has applied.  In other words, if you've applied to a number of schools they think you'd be accepted to and attend instead, they may ding you to protect their yield of matriculants.  I could be way off, just speculation.

kernelgt

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 12:00:57 AM »
i was just playing around on the USNews premium site and saw that ASU has one of the lowest student-faculty ratios of all the law schools.  i think that's awesome.  so congrats on your acceptance (and the one to UC-B)!  :)

Thanks, and ASU is one example, I think, of appropriate fee waiver solicitation.  I had never looked into the school before, but I got the waiver and did a little research.  Although it's T2 (but the top of T2), it seemed to have a lot going for it.  Now that I've been accepted (very quickly, I might add), I am becoming more and more impressed.  That's not to say that I don't have other pending schools that I would prefer right now, but given the right aid package, I could certainly see myself shifting priorities.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 12:06:13 AM »
Yes, percent accepted versus applied.  Greater selectivity = more USNWR points.  And my point about yield protection is that because they have so many waivers and so many people apply, they need to see where everyone else has applied.  In other words, if you've applied to a number of schools they think you'd be accepted to and attend instead, they may ding you to protect their yield of matriculants.  I could be way off, just speculation.

i don't see what protecting their yield of matriculants actually does for them.  are you saying that they'd reject you if they think you'll go to a higher ranked school, such that their yield is actually playing into their acceptance rate, which plays into their rankings?  <light bulb turns on over head>  that makes sense.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

kernelgt

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 12:19:48 AM »
i don't see what protecting their yield of matriculants actually does for them.  are you saying that they'd reject you if they think you'll go to a higher ranked school, such that their yield is actually playing into their acceptance rate, which plays into their rankings?  <light bulb turns on over head>  that makes sense.

I think protecting their yield allows them to accept people they can more reasonably assume would actually come to the law school.  I'm not familiar with their stats offhand, but lets say they have 300 seats and accept 800....because of the large number of fee waivers, a lot of people apply who would otherwise not apply and never intend to go there (it's a reach for some, safety for others).  If they don't protect their yield in this way, they could offer 800 accepts and only find 100 deposits, or, even worse, they could accept 800 and 600 want to show up.  They play a dangerous game with that rampant of a waiver program, so they need to mitigate it somehow...I think that question on the app is one way.

EDIT:  oh, and yes, I think it plays into the rankings a bit b/c they offer so many waivers in the first place to support them being more selective, which helps their USNWR rankings.  But I don't think protecting their yield in and of itself plays into the rankings.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 02:03:02 AM »
yes, agreed.  yield itself isn't part of rankings, but yield protection necessarily drives down acceptance rate, and acceptance rate IS part of rankings.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?