Law School Discussion

UA vs. ASU

kernelgt

UA vs. ASU
« on: December 16, 2004, 07:21:59 AM »
Any thoughts anyone?  I'm interested in the comparison between these two schools.  I'm not that interested in their relative ranks, because we've all seen USNWR, but does anyone have any information or insights into the pros and cons of each school in relation to the other, or in relation to other similarly regarded schools.  Programs, location, actual law school campus/buildings, size, etc.  I haven't done a lot of research myself and just thought maybe someone amongst you has and could share. 

Thanks. 

Re: UA vs. ASU
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 07:34:17 AM »
K,
 I have lived in both Phoenix and Tucson, and I have spent time on both campuses. ASU is a great law school if you are looking for excellent faculty in a more layed back, liberal environment. Access to law firms is great and the school has tons of contacts.
Weather is fantastic, lots of activities around the city, professional sports teams, etc. Lots of great parks in the city for hiking, etc.Great golf!

UA is a bit more of a conservative campus, also has great faculty, more students over 25 yrs in the classes. Tucson is smaller than Phoenix, although Tempe itself is a great town. Tucson has access to ski area at Mt.Lemmon which is only 22 miles out of town, lots of outdoor activities and National Parks, housing may be a bit cheaper, too. As for jobs, since Tucson is smaller with less access to big firms (those are mainly in Phoenix) the job opportunities for summer work would probably mean moving to Phoenix for summer.

Personally, even though I am a diehard Wildcat fan when it comes to basketball, I really felt more confortable with the campus at ASU. I met several of the law school faculty, sat in on several classes, and everyone was so friendly and willing to talk to me. It is definatly going to be one of my first choice schools when I apply next fall. I see you were accepted by ASU - do you mind telling me what your GPA/LSAT score was? My current GPA is 3.65, I'm an older "non-traditional" student, female, and part Native American.

Geez, Boulder is a great area to live, although I have heard some mixed feelings about the school. I notice you were accepted there, also. :)

Anyway, congrats on getting accepted to a couple great schools and good luck with the decision on which one to attend. Happy holidays!
..oldy

rwhitman

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 09:13:44 AM »
K,
 I have lived in both Phoenix and Tucson, and I have spent time on both campuses. ASU is a great law school if you are looking for excellent faculty in a more layed back, liberal environment. Access to law firms is great and the school has tons of contacts.
Weather is fantastic, lots of activities around the city, professional sports teams, etc. Lots of great parks in the city for hiking, etc.Great golf!

UA is a bit more of a conservative campus, also has great faculty, more students over 25 yrs in the classes. Tucson is smaller than Phoenix, although Tempe itself is a great town. Tucson has access to ski area at Mt.Lemmon which is only 22 miles out of town, lots of outdoor activities and National Parks, housing may be a bit cheaper, too. As for jobs, since Tucson is smaller with less access to big firms (those are mainly in Phoenix) the job opportunities for summer work would probably mean moving to Phoenix for summer.

Personally, even though I am a diehard Wildcat fan when it comes to basketball, I really felt more confortable with the campus at ASU. I met several of the law school faculty, sat in on several classes, and everyone was so friendly and willing to talk to me. It is definatly going to be one of my first choice schools when I apply next fall. I see you were accepted by ASU - do you mind telling me what your GPA/LSAT score was? My current GPA is 3.65, I'm an older "non-traditional" student, female, and part Native American.

Geez, Boulder is a great area to live, although I have heard some mixed feelings about the school. I notice you were accepted there, also. :)

Anyway, congrats on getting accepted to a couple great schools and good luck with the decision on which one to attend. Happy holidays!
..oldy

Oldy, I am a wildcat but now live in phoenix as well. Which do you think places students better in phoenix- the location of ASU, or the better ranking of UA. I've been accepted at both but am struggling to decide which school I'd rather attend.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 09:18:33 AM »
I hear that ASU places better in Phoenix, even with the lower ranking.  Phoenix is the 5th largest city in American now- I can only imagine law opportunities in Phoenix will continue to grow for both AZ schools.

kernelgt

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 11:02:59 AM »
Thanks for the incredible advice, oldy.  ASU sounds very appealing and I'm glad that I have a little insight into the differences between the two schools.  The rankings never concerned me because they're so close, so I can only imagine that the education is of a very similar quality.  I would think (as you mentioned) that the only tangible differences come down to location, facilities, atmosphere, etc.  Also, and I can't remember where I heard this, but I think ASU is poised to only get better. I think I'd be more interested in the Phoenix area myself for a number of reasons, but now that you mention Tuscon is close to some skiing....hmmm 

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 11:28:58 PM »
Stu-lo,

The information I have received from talking with attorneys in AZ is that ASU has better job placement and most 2L's find summer employment pretty easily. UA has a good rep, also,but jobs are still going to be located in Phoenix. The major law firms work with both schools, but have a closer relationship with the "local" school- ASU.

The Phoenix area is THE big legal firm mecca, and grads have a much greater chance of finding work there than other areas of AZ including Tucson. If you are going to ASU you would be able to interact more with attorneys that would be good networking resources. I understand they have a pretty active bar association that puts on a lot of seminars, etc. and law students are always invited.

I'm sure that UA's reputation also means they have a good relationship with firms in AZ, but I would think being close to the "action" while still in school would be a big plus, and ASU would fit this better than UA since you would already be located in Phoenix area.

Anyway, good luck with choosing the school you prefer - I'm sure both would be great choices. I hope I get accepted to one of these great schools, too - I love the sunshine!

..oldy
here in 38 degree weather of Oregon

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 04:32:04 PM »
I think that U of A is better than ASU. Both are going to place well in the state and U of A has a smaller entering class. If you like living in a college town, Tucson is it. Also the cost of living is lower in Tucson; tons of cheap apartments and houses to rent just blocks aways from the law school.