Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Teaching for Kaplan  (Read 1835 times)

Jgunnz

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.64, LSAT: (156+166)/2
    • View Profile
    • Email
Teaching for Kaplan
« on: December 16, 2004, 04:15:35 AM »
Hey goes anyone know what the cutoff is for teaching at Kaplan, I read somewhere it was a 164 but I'm not positive on that.
Brooklyn Law Prince Scholar ($17.5K per year)

nika22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching for Kaplan
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 04:19:54 AM »
90th percentile

so 164 sounds about right, depending on when you took the lsat

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 07:31:18 AM »
They also take your highest score, haha

So its cash.

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 10:48:30 PM »
There's no set score; a 164 ought to do it.

My Kaplan instructor had never taken the LSAT!  She was ok, but she was transferred from SAT duty with some re-training.

The main thing is to get them when they are hiring; in big cities, especially, they have tons of people wanting to teach for them, so you have to keep trying and hope for a vacancy.  Go to their website and there's a form.  You probably won't hear anything back unless they need someone where you are.

If they invite you to audition, they will have you give a five-minute instructional talk on a non-testing-related topic.  Have a friend watch you rehearse - if you say "Um" a lot, you will not be hired.  Presentation/personality counts...
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 09:19:25 PM »
I think the cutoff varies, but the one I've seen most often is 90th percentile.  This equates to a 163 on most exams. 
T25 or bust

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 11:17:59 AM »
Hmm that's interesting.  I've invested so much time and effort in the LSAT over the past 6 months this doesn't sound like a bad idea.  Anybody know any details?  How much does it pay?  Is it full time or part time work?  How do you apply?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 01:01:25 PM »

julie just gotta ask:  starresky, where's hutch?

maricutie

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 01:17:23 PM »
I thought it was something like a 162. Not sure, but a 164 ought to do it. 90th % sounds accurate.

I actually went through the audition, and got selected. It was pretty easy, but if you want any tips or ideas just ask. You do something like 20 hours total of training for which you get paid $7 an hour, but then the tutoring or lecturing you get paid really, really well. I heard something in the range of $20-27 an hour, more for one-on-one tutoring.  :o

Unfortunately, I found out soon after that being an AmeriCorps VISTA precludes you from having any outside employment.  ??? (We're trying to get people to move themselves out of poverty, but aren't allowed to do so ourselves, I suppose.) So unless kaplan is sneaky enough to pay me under the table, I will unfortunately have to limit my kaplan tutoring experience to the audition.  >:(

Tortman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 05:53:59 PM »
Anyone have more information on this?  I recently passed the interview for a job, and am going to go through training soon.  Has anyone worked for them before? 

DunkinsFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 07:06:13 PM »
I've been thinking about doing this too (for the GRE or SAT) but I haven't been able to come up with a topic for that 5-min lesson.  Did anyone else struggle with this?  It seems like it shouldn't be that hard, but I'm at a loss.