Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying to American schools?  (Read 1753 times)

canadia

• View Profile
Applying to American schools?
« on: December 16, 2004, 04:03:39 AM »
Hi all -

just wonderin' if any of you are applyin to American schools - I am, thought we could swap horror stories about that country governed by that idiot ;)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Applying to American schools?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 05:39:17 AM »
I am :D

On LSN, my username is Cheeks ... if you wanted to see which schools.

canadia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 02:14:50 PM »
Hey cheeks,

congratz on Duke.  I was accepted there too (I'm cc6260 on LSN).  Yay for us! What's your #1?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 03:18:14 PM »
my realistic #1 right now is michigan.  My bro goes there on an athletic scholarship so it would be kinda nice to go to the same school.

But i'm not getting my hopes up really ... I know GTown and UVA have made decisions on my file, but I haven't got the letters yet.  Expecting them any day now.

Did you apply to any Canadian schools?

canadia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 03:40:59 PM »
hey cheeks - to answer your question, no, I didn't apply to any Canadian schools.  I actually went to Berkeley for my UG and loved the experience so much (hate the country, hate the president but love the smarts there) I decided I didn't want to come back for at least another 3 years :)

Michigan is a GREAT school, i know a few people who went there for UG and a couple for law school. nothing but good things about the state and the school!  :) 

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 04:11:16 PM »
i would love to go to berkeley for law!  I lived in the states for a bit as well, but not cali  :'(

and i just got accepted to CORNELL!!!!!! i'm super excited cause its one of my top choices.

canadia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 04:58:48 PM »
Awwww  congrats!!!!!
I'm waiting for Cornell too - still nothing! 

I got accepted into Boalt a few weeks ago.. it is a GREAT school and I would recommend Berkeley in a heartbeat but I'm personally not too sure if I'd like to do three more years there since I'm all for trying new cities and places.. 

you're kickin ass, keep it up!!!
 ;D

congrats again.

canadia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 07:17:39 AM »
Cheeks (and anyone else who is in the same boat) - are ya'll filling out FAFSA?  I know that some of the schools I've been accepted to (ie: Penn, Boalt) request that students fill out a FAFSA form regardless of whether or not they qualify for federal loans.  I just submitted an application to get a PIN today so it'll be a few days till I actually fill out my app but in the mean time anyone care to share their experiences dealing with an application form that is obviously not intended for us?  >:(

DarkHound

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 01:38:17 AM »
I got accepted into Northwestern, but rejected from boalt and columbia so far. Still waiting on virginia, UCLA and stanford (haha, yah right).

I'm trying to decide between UT and NW.

What do you guys think about working in the states as a canadian?

canadia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 06:27:42 AM »
I got accepted into Northwestern, but rejected from boalt and columbia so far. Still waiting on virginia, UCLA and stanford (haha, yah right).

I'm trying to decide between UT and NW.

What do you guys think about working in the states as a canadian?

I can't say for certain since I wonder about that from time to time.. but I do know two or three fellow Canadians who graduated from top schools in the US (one from NYU, and another from cornell) who had no problems finding a job (if that's what you're referring to).  According to my friend who was worried about getting a job (ie: visa troubles and all), she said that law firms are more than happy to hire & sponsor Canadians for work visas, especially if you graduated from an American law school.

Are you leaning towards UT or NW?