Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: post-acceptance essays  (Read 1680 times)

littlelucy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
post-acceptance essays
« on: December 16, 2004, 12:13:38 AM »
this is the support/collaboration/brainstorm/Q&A thread for people writing, or toying with the idea of writing, the extra essays with which you're "rewarded" upon acceptance if you want to shoot for merit aid or even a full ride in some cases.

USC? wash and lee? cornell? what are people doing, or are you just over it...
dirty yalie

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: post-acceptance essays
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 12:25:11 AM »
my finals dont end till mid january so i wont be looking at it till winter break (though i think the essay for cornell's is kind of silly. what do u think?)

foxnewssucks

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 01:09:42 AM »
i am still waiting for acceptances.

HTH

littlelucy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 01:12:50 AM »
my finals dont end till mid january so i wont be looking at it till winter break (though i think the essay for cornell's is kind of silly. what do u think?)

i haven't heard from cornell yet, i just thought others had  ;)

wash&lee: "what are the societal obligations of the legal profession?" in 500 words

usc: 1 page essay describing how you meet the criteria of the frank rothman scholarship. (pretty vague-- the info about him is included, and "criteria include strong ug record and lsat score, as well ass additional accomplishments, such as publishing books or articles, running a business, inventing useful devices and other highly significant achievements." so SUPER vague and hard to distinguish from other LS app essays, but i think it will be easier to write than the W&L   :P

ok, curling up in bed with my viewbooks...
dirty yalie

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 01:37:12 PM »
sorry--i was under impression from your post you had heard back from all, i guess you did hear back from other two (you'll get into cornell anyway).

cornell's essay:

500-word essay offering advice to an entering college student on how best to decide on a major.

if they actually use this essay as a key factor in determining whom they present with the scholarship (and i have my doubts about that) i'm confused what they're really asking.

they know how we write already, what is this essay specifically adding?  i figured maybe because most of the answers are tired and used they want something creative.  (they want us to "dazzle" them in law school right?)  but the tired and used answers here are tired and used because they are the best advice.

ok i dont know if that contributed much in the way of brainstorming, but that's my take on the essay after a 5 whole minutes of thought on the essay.

littlelucy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 08:03:13 PM »
i did get into cornell today, but not invited to write the essay (as far as i know)!

that's a cool topic. i'd much rather write that than the other 2... i might be able to get creative with USC but it seems like it's REALLY just asking you to extol your own wonderfulness.
dirty yalie

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 08:19:16 PM »
i wished i was that excited about writing on this the topic.  well if you're that excited to write it.... ;)

littlelucy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 08:25:35 PM »
i wished i was that excited about writing on this the topic.  well if you're that excited to write it.... ;)

omg, i should write it anyway, and then i'll send ti to them and they'll think they must have asked me for it. if it's really good, they won't be like "hey wait a minute, her lsat was too low to apply for this scholarship!"

wouldn't it be funny if i tricked cornell into giving me money?
dirty yalie

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 08:31:02 PM »
that would be hilarious!

frankly you're such a good writer, and seem to enjoy it an awful lot, doesnt seem much to lose.

(though i'm skeptical of them actually deciding these scholarships based on that essay.  i think it is more of a "flavoring" to the overall application.  hence my skepticism that i have any real shot at this).

littlelucy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 08:42:08 PM »
that would be hilarious!

frankly you're such a good writer, and seem to enjoy it an awful lot, doesnt seem much to lose.

(though i'm skeptical of them actually deciding these scholarships based on that essay.  i think it is more of a "flavoring" to the overall application.  hence my skepticism that i have any real shot at this).

thank you   :P i can't believe you're so nice to me after we totally butted heads.

i don't know about a "flavoring" so much as sitting down and working hard at yet another essay proves you truly like that school... but the truth is, money from cornell would catapult them right over quite a few other choices (for me). so hey, i'll just play it off like i heard a rumor they wanted advice choosing undergrad majors, so here some is!
dirty yalie