Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IN AT COLUMBIA !!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2584 times)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: IN AT COLUMBIA !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 04:05:21 PM »
quick question for any columbia admit: have they already told you when the visit days are?  i wonder if they have separate ones for ED and reg (since ED people are definitely going, and reg people might still need to be wooed, so they can focus on different things?).  i know that they coordinate with NYU to have dates be close to each other.  NYU had march 4, april 1, and april 15.  april 1 is boalt's, and i'm super excited to go to NYC in general, so i want to go to the march 4 one.  i'm hoping that (1) i'll get into columbia, (2) i'll hear back from them before i leave for NYC, (3) columbia has a something-close-to-march-4 visit day.

congrats again to all of you :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

PsychJK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 05:08:33 PM »
congratulations - thats awesome!!!
Accepted: GULC, Duke, USC, NYU, UPenn, UVA, UMich, Cornell, Notre Dame, Vandy, UChicago
Pending:Columbia
Deferred: HLS

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=PsychJK

Snoopy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 05:36:44 PM »
snoopy -
did your mailing have a login ID for the admitted student website? i wonder how we get this. I hope we don't have to wait until February when they send more info! I am way too excited :)

All I got was a letter saying I was admitted. I think we have to wait until Feb.

Snoopy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 05:40:39 PM »
quick question for any columbia admit: have they already told you when the visit days are?  i wonder if they have separate ones for ED and reg (since ED people are definitely going, and reg people might still need to be wooed, so they can focus on different things?).  i know that they coordinate with NYU to have dates be close to each other.  NYU had march 4, april 1, and april 15.  april 1 is boalt's, and i'm super excited to go to NYC in general, so i want to go to the march 4 one.  i'm hoping that (1) i'll get into columbia, (2) i'll hear back from them before i leave for NYC, (3) columbia has a something-close-to-march-4 visit day.

congrats again to all of you :)

At a minimum NYU is a SOLID school (top 5 after all), so you are definitely cool.

Bearizzzle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Columbia in August!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 05:44:54 PM »
pookie - haven't heard anything yet about admitted students weekend. Will keep you updated - but you're right, it may be different for ED candidates since they don't have to woo us :) We're already wooed :)
Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious!

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 05:51:07 PM »
thanks, snoops :)  but i still want to coordinate a visit with columbia...

i'm not actually booking a trip yet anyway, but i like tracking airfare, and i want to look at hotel and see which days of the week to fly and get hotel (staying with bf's cousin a few nights).  and if i have to wait until april 15 to be able to hit both schools in one visit, i want to know that now, because i'm so anxious to go to NY and want to start counting down ;)

i should focus all my antsy energy on something else.  sorry for the interruption; resume the congrats!  :)

did you guys visit before applying ED?  how did you know it was your first choice?
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

Snoopy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 08:02:18 AM »
thanks, snoops :)  but i still want to coordinate a visit with columbia...

i'm not actually booking a trip yet anyway, but i like tracking airfare, and i want to look at hotel and see which days of the week to fly and get hotel (staying with bf's cousin a few nights).  and if i have to wait until april 15 to be able to hit both schools in one visit, i want to know that now, because i'm so anxious to go to NY and want to start counting down ;)

i should focus all my antsy energy on something else.  sorry for the interruption; resume the congrats!  :)

did you guys visit before applying ED?  how did you know it was your first choice?

I visited the school last summer. Met with the assistant dean of admissions who gave me 45-60 minutes of her time. At the end of the conversation I was sold. Would you attend CLS over NYU?

maricutie

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2004, 10:14:22 AM »
CONGRATS!! I have a friend who's currently attending Columbia, and she loves it!

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2004, 12:23:05 PM »
Wow, Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is fantastic news :)
HLS

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2004, 02:57:21 PM »

I visited the school last summer. Met with the assistant dean of admissions who gave me 45-60 minutes of her time. At the end of the conversation I was sold. Would you attend CLS over NYU?

i don't know what i'd pick between NYU and CLS.  both are great schools.  i'd definitely need to visit both between deciding.  i like columbia's reputation and NYU's geographic area.  i've been thinking all along that i want to go to a school where there isn't really intense competition (like yale, boalt, NYU) but now i'm thinking that (a) competition would motivate me to work harder and get better grades and (b) if i want to work in a big firm, i should probably get used to a competitive atmosphere and learn how to thrive in it.  so CLS might actually be a better fit for me than i thought.  i'll definitely talk to as many students as possible if i do get into CLS to see what they think, esp people like me.  i can see how some students would totally thrive in a competitive environment, because they're naturally competitive people.  and i'm kinda like that myself, i just don't know whether i'm as intense.  sorry to blab so much; i've come to the conclusion during the typing of this post that i'm actually just scared shitless of being at the bottom of my class, and somehow i feel like in a less competitive environment, i could maybe be the most competitive person and finish closer to the top.  i have some issues i need to work out before august ;)  thanks for reading, if you did.  hopefully we'll see each other at CLS next year.