Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Logical Reasoning  (Read 1130 times)

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Logical Reasoning
« on: April 20, 2004, 05:28:38 PM »
I am hitting a road block on the LR sections.  I typically will answer the first 17-18 correct or with 1 or 2 errors, and then just bomb the last 7-8 questions.  I could be missing 1 or 2 in the section, but instead miss 6-8.  Because this is half the test I would substantially improve my score from the low 160's to the low 170's.  I think it is a time issue, but does anyone have any suggestions on erradicating this constant occurrence.

jgruber

Re: Logical Reasoning
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 05:30:20 PM »
I had similar problems in my practice tests.  I think you have to force yourself to take less time with each one, so that you have time for all of them.  If you hit one that seems especially difficult, save it for last.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: Logical Reasoning
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 12:58:16 AM »
I am hitting a road block on the LR sections.  I typically will answer the first 17-18 correct or with 1 or 2 errors, and then just bomb the last 7-8 questions.  I could be missing 1 or 2 in the section, but instead miss 6-8.  Because this is half the test I would substantially improve my score from the low 160's to the low 170's.  I think it is a time issue, but does anyone have any suggestions on erradicating this constant occurrence.

i ran into something simililar to this when i was studying...and IMHO, i think it has to do with stamina.  35 minutes is a long time to stare at question after question, and with the difficulty of some of these questions, its easy to get tired and frustrated. 

here is what i would suggest.  take some of the LR sections that are older and that you havent taken.  since youre doing well throgh the first 15-18 questions, you should start with the first 15 questions.  give yourself about a minute and a half per question and time yourself that way (i.e. 15 questions - 22.5 minutes, 20 questions - 30 minutes, etc.).  do a set of 15 questions and repeat until you get them all correct.  then add about 2-3 questions per set.  do 17 or 18 until you get them all correct.  then move up to 20, then 22, 24, and eventually 25, still giving yourself a minute and a half per question.

i know it sounds pretty tough, but it really works.  i did this for about 2 weeks...and drastically made me much more tolerant of the time, fatigue, and frustration.  and the more i got used to the time length, as well as the reading, the less i felt pressured by the time and fatigue. 

once you can do the 25 questions in the 37.5 minutes, then you can cut the time down to 35 min and practice a few times that way.  you might not get them all correct, but i guarantee you wont miss more than 2 or 3.

dont say i didnt warn you.  this is serious committment and incredibly repetitive.  however, if you keep it up, you will be disciplined enough to do 5 sections straight through without a break. 

again, this is my humble opinion and just a method i used.  just thought id share.

dan

'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'