Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: poor grades as undergrad, have masters, need advice PLEASE!!!!!  (Read 839 times)

max22

• View Profile
poor grades as undergrad, have masters, need advice PLEASE!!!!!
« on: December 15, 2004, 08:21:41 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Good or bad, I need advice. I am 30 years old, and I wish to attend law school in 2006. My problem is my undergraduate grades. I will probably end up being around a 2.6
(Although my last two years were above 3.4) Due to of course just not being serious enough, my first two years. In March I will graduate with a Masters in Management with at least a 3.5
Do I need to go back for another undergrad degree to pull the grade up, since graduate grades do not count?? I am looking to apply to Georgia State or Mercer. I work full time, have a family and worked thoughout undergrad and grad. I know I can get strong rec letters etc. I also know that I would have to get at least a 160+ on the LSAT. What should I do?? Thanks

max22

• View Profile
Re: poor grades as undergrad, have masters, need advice PLEASE!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 08:37:35 PM »
Never mind, I now see that a second degree would not help, grade wise. But are chances good, to even get into Georgia State or Mercer??

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
Re: poor grades as undergrad, have masters, need advice PLEASE!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 09:54:56 AM »
I think if you do well in LSAT (160+) then you have a very good chance.
If you have been out of school for a long time, the admissions committee will not be as critical with the low GPA.  Need to stress your work experience.

Check these out for Mercer and Ga State.
Also, Ga state has a PT program and tend to favor older applicants with work experience (shows maturity).
Go to the bottom of the document where the admission grid is displayed to see past accepted applicants with your numbers.
http://officialguide.lsac.org/OFFGUIDE/pdf/lsac5409.pdf
http://officialguide.lsac.org/OFFGUIDE/pdf/lsac5251.pdf

Good luck!