Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where do lawyers work?  (Read 5551 times)

thechoson

Where do lawyers work?
« on: April 20, 2004, 04:04:05 PM »
I am wondering where the majority of lawyers work.  I know the majority work in private firms, but in what size firms are most lawyere employed?  Judging by that fact that lawyers on average make well short of what entering associates at megafirms make, I am tempted to think most attorneys work at smaller sized firms.
Yet why is it that these smaller firms are never really mentioned as employment opportunities (most people seem to talk of either BIGLAW or Public Interest), and how does one go about securing employment in smaller firms when so few of them actually conduct on campus interviews?

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
Re: Where do lawyers work?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 04:14:20 PM »
Start with the phone book ;D

Google for "Legal Employment" in the market you think you may work.  That will give you some good websites.

Also, the NALP (nalp.org) has some good resources for you as well.

"BIGLAW" isn't for me anyway.  I don't want to be a number.  I want a small firm for sure! 2-25 people.  I'd like to feel like I am part of the organization instead of a "billable hours" machine. 

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 04:15:23 PM »
Most lawyers work on discussion boards.

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 04:35:29 PM »

Google for "Legal Employment" in the market you think you may work.  That will give you some good websites.

"BIGLAW" isn't for me anyway.  I don't want to be a number.  I want a small firm for sure! 2-25 people.  I'd like to feel like I am part of the organization instead of a "billable hours" machine. 

I have heard that at those smaller firms you usually have to work as much, sometimes more, than at a Big firm, for a fraction of the pay.  Guess that's why they are not as popular.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 05:14:10 PM »
On the other hand, they say you can have a wider variety of work in small firms and large firms bury you in paperwork.  It's years before you get to do the fun stuff.

e

I have heard that at those smaller firms you usually have to work as much, sometimes more, than at a Big firm, for a fraction of the pay.  Guess that's why they are not as popular.

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 05:24:09 PM »
On the other hand, they say you can have a wider variety of work in small firms and large firms bury you in paperwork.  It's years before you get to do the fun stuff.
[

I hear the same thing. I hear that you hardly if ever get to meet a client in the first few years at the larger firms.[/quote]