Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: new... average LSAT with no prep?  (Read 2932 times)

A.J

Re: new... average LSAT with no prep?
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2004, 02:26:25 PM »
me too AJ  155 "cold".  I have been procrastinating....supposed to take the feb test and have't studied a damn bit since finals ended.  I do have the LRB and the LGB and hope to score 160...who knows. 

and yes to whoever said this board is not representative...it is not even close :)

Red, that is well within your grasp with just a little study.  I took TM which is the basically the same as PS and my scores went up dramatically.  You should feel good that you score above the median for actual test takers, 80% of whom do some sort of prep, without practice.  Believe me, you will get this test.  165+ is quite possible and maybe even probable if you get to work now.  The higher the score the greater the opportunity set, **cracks the whip**.

I am pretty reliable when it comes to games and logical reasoning and so is Casca.  You can get a ton of help on the LSAt board if you need it.

AJ

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2004, 02:38:29 PM »
I did no prep for the actual LSAT in June, wasn't really even sure what it was about(quite surprised that it had LG) and got a 166. At the time I was not entirely sure I wanted to go to law school and did not realize how important the LSAT is, or even that one could prep for it. I figured I would take it is I did poorly then I would take it again(didn’t realize either that scores are average.) In hindsight it was an incredibly stupid move and I wish I had done some LG practice to learn the tricks and methods for them instead of trying to remember back to when I used to do them as a kid. Probably could have raised my score a bit. but I lucked out and all is well.

I would highly recommend taking a practice test then preparing according. A lot has to do with how you learn tings. If you are someone for some lots of studying for a test makes you more confident and do better then go for it. If you are not, then just look up some stuff, take a few practice tests and go for it.

I did almost the exact same thing - wasn't even sure I was going to apply to LS; I figured it would just depend on my score.  I didn't even decide to take the test until about 5 weeks beforehand.  I had no clue how much people prep for this thing! I wish I'd devoted waaaay more time to it myself.  I scored 159 on my first-ever, "cold" practice test.  My second one after a good, solid read through the Logic Games Bible was 161.  I took a Testmasters weekend class and scored 164 on the actual LSAT in October.  But I didn't do hours and hours (and certainly not months and months!) of practice, and when I read about people who scored in the mid-150's cold, then did a lot of prep and got a 170-something on the real deal...I was an idiot. :)
Attending: W&M

puddle

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2004, 05:47:16 PM »
Nobody should ever assume that the first time score really means much at least as far as my experience goes. Now we all know how much craplan sucks so I won't give them any credit (I've only been to 2 out of 4 sessions so far and stopped doing their work to save preptests for later) but my score rose from 151 - 160 in just a little over a month. I have read about 100 pages of the LR bible (maybe that helped a little) and taken 3 full timed lsats (two, the first and last at kaplan) and 1 at home. I also did another two in pieces spread out over time. Another thing I should say. Take your preptests during daylight hours- your scores will be higher during the day. The two craplan tests were at night (and the 156 I got so quickly after the first was during the day) I noticed that the last two tests given by kaplan are during the day (to use the day/night thing to their advantage as far as perceived results). Anyway- I think just the physical act of working on tests and reading explanations really works wonders- initially I thought that was just a bunch of bull. Let's see how well powerscore works next month...
October probably.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2004, 09:07:27 PM »
thanks aj...i'll get crackin  ;)
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

maricutie

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2004, 12:51:00 PM »
My first cold LSAT was a 158 ... not spectacular, but not horrible, either. And I was particularily inspired by a friend of mine who got the same initial score and got a 170 on the real thing. So I practiced, cancelled one due to nerves, practiced some more. In Feb I took it and got a 166, which was significantly below my 170ish recent average. Maybe it was the hardness of the chairs, the badly-muffled construction noise outside, or the lack of space on the logic games. Who knows. ??? Something just happens to me during the LSAT that plumments my actual score a couple points down. Ah, well; can't complain.  :P 

Downy-Undergrad

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2004, 12:53:03 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you all figured out, Downy was an undergrad at Wayne and transferred to Minnesota to finish up.  He is not presently in law school.  Though, I assumed you all figured that out.  Downy's dad is a doc at Wayne State and he has 2 cousins that attend med school there.

Hurley (1 of hundreds of people that hate downy) posted this attack towards him and I thought it was well-written!

HURLEY- L.S.D.
Sr. Citizen

Re: Pros Haterus: A Campaign for Everyone
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2004, 01:01:35 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: STFU third tier toilet LF PWN3D on December 20, 2004, 12:39:08 AM

No, I am winning. You are losing. Why? Because I own LSD, and you are a newbie-fucker...

Hurley, you might as well give up your crusade. Nobody likes you. Plus, for every step forward you take this site, I will give it a hard shove backwards.

And by admitting that you will shove LSD backward you reveal exactly what your intentions are here.  I never singled you out, but for some reason you have launched an all out offensive against me.

You hide behind a mirage of foul language, pseudo intellectualism, and poor logic.  For some reason you see yourself as an exalted figure, but the reality is that you are some punk kid who is scared to face people in the real world.  You have no idea where I've been, and you have no right launching these petty insults against me.

Say whatever you want about how the people here think about me.  I could care less about what goes on in that cloudy head of yours.  You are a distraction, a nuissance, who derives what little meaning he has in life in the moments he turns on his laptop in the public library.

You've pretty well lost what little respect anyone on this forum had for you, which was pretty nil to begin with. I challenged you and your fellow cronies tonight and what happened? They delete their accounts and run far from your side.  Other members here have pledged their support for me on other threads and in messages they send.  How will you and your puppies respond to that?

And of course, you will probably crusade to have me removed from this forum in response.

You are so terribly afraid of me Downy that you and your bootlicker friends simply seek to kill what you are afraid of dealing with. None of my posts have been unwelcomed by the majority here. I've only asked questions and made statements you were afraid to address.

You are a doddering fool, an idiot in command of something who's concept you yourself don't even grasp. A little fish in big waters. A hick coming to the big city. A little man who shakes his fist at the world and screams revenge. I pity you. You truly are not smart enough for the legal world.

As for your friends and supporters, they are the kids on the playground who pride themselves on being the "first to reply". A mindless "somebody wanna-be" who parrots "Downy says Downy says.... BRAWWWKK!!!" They are idiots as well. Like you, they are men who have no real power in their lives, except when they log in. I bet their wives beat them.

Anyhow, I'm still searching through these forums and continuing my campaign against tyrants like you.  I will be back to torment you with some more facts that will confuse & anger you into curling up into the fetal position again. You seem to like that position.

I enjoy this - it's like kicking an unruly street bum in the nuts.

Love,
Hurley

murpheys_law

• midwesterner ready for the coast
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2004, 01:53:54 PM »
My first cold LSAT was a 158 ... not spectacular, but not horrible, either. And I was particularily inspired by a friend of mine who got the same initial score and got a 170 on the real thing. So I practiced, cancelled one due to nerves, practiced some more. In Feb I took it and got a 166, which was significantly below my 170ish recent average. Maybe it was the hardness of the chairs, the badly-muffled construction noise outside, or the lack of space on the logic games. Who knows. ??? Something just happens to me during the LSAT that plumments my actual score a couple points down. Ah, well; can't complain.  :P 

Mariecutie

You have absolutely nothing to complain about.  Congratulations on your admittances to Stanford, Boalt, GULC, Duke, NYU, Cornell, USC, UMich, and UCLA.  That's nothing to snub at.
GPA:  3.72
LSAT: TBA

I65Stang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2004, 02:17:33 PM »
I got a 165 in December without prep (ended up having no time) which I am happy enough with.  I'm not applying to T14 or anything, I screwed around way too much while getting my bachelors (read: way too low gpa).  I dont want to tempt fate and take it again after prepping.  I wonder if after getting acccepted to a law school and taking the LSAT again if LSAC will send a new LSAT score to them (I'd like to study and see what I could have gotten but dont want a lower score to screw me).