Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need advice (Got An F) - want to get into MCGILL or UBC.  (Read 1563 times)

ArK@mtl

• View Profile
Need advice (Got An F) - want to get into MCGILL or UBC.
« on: December 15, 2004, 12:26:37 AM »
I currently have one F on my report card (worth 6 credits so double weighted) that is brining down by GPA to 3.5. I'm also in Honors, if the F sticks, I can't get an Honors degree. All my other grades range from A+ to B+ the majority being A's. I am currently in the process of trying to get the F removed from my transcript (missed late complete due date for Paper worth 50% - have good reason though might not cut it).

If I get the F removed, my GPA goes up to roughly 3.85 and I get an Honors Degree, a Minor, and i graduate with distinction.
If the F does not get removed, My GPA will reach 3.55 max by the end of this semester and I will get a simple major and a minor.

The problem is that even if I manage to get the F removed and transformed into an A/-A, it won't be removed for at least a couple more months (slow University bureaucracy), after the application date to the Law Schools I want to apply to (UBC and MCGILL) passes. Further, i don't have very much volunteering or leadership experience, as taking care of a cronically ill family member has monopolized most of my time these past few years, so I highly doubt McGill will take me. I took the December LSATS and I think i did pretty good (between 164-170 depending on the curve and luck).

So my question is, should I bother applying for law school this year or should I wait till next year, given that there will be an F on my transcript when I do?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice (Got An F) - want to get into MCGILL or UBC.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 01:37:33 AM »
Tailor made situation for an addendum.  Contact the law schools, let them know it's not a final mark in the course.
No longer here.

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 08:20:52 AM »
3.55 and a 167 and youll get into UBC without an addendum

mcgill sucks so i wont comment on that

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 09:36:38 AM »

hahaha ... so true

ArK@mtl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »
3.55 and a 167 and youll get into UBC without an addendum

what's wrong with Mcgill?

i live like 5 mins away so it would really be the most convenient and cheapest for me to go to. I could also go to University of Montreal but its in French so...  :-\

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 12:35:51 PM »
There is some McGill bias on these boards, but if it were me I'd go to McGill sooner than UBC.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 12:37:20 PM »
U. of Montreal has a sick economics program ...

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 02:56:14 PM »
Well that's different.  I mean, it is just not my style of university.  However, it certainly is not bad.  I just have issues with it heh.

Matt

help101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 03:03:30 PM »
i know that some schools will allow you to retake the course and only calcuate the final grade.

other schools will leave the F/(new grade) on your transcript and only caluce the final grade.

contact the Registrar's office.
good luck
hth