Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should This Man Still Have a Job?  (Read 3140 times)

A_guy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should This Man Still Have a Job?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2004, 11:50:35 AM »
Alright guys, this our future profession.  Do you realy want a half-wit bigot like this around?  A postion like judge requires a level of integrity that I think was clearly breached by his actions and as a consequence, I think he should have his right to practice in any capacity revoked.

Judge Suspended for Wearing Blackface at Halloween Party
Janet McConnaughey
The Associated Press
12-15-2004

A judge who wore blackface makeup, handcuffs and a jail jumpsuit at a Halloween party will be suspended for six months, the Louisiana Supreme Court ruled Monday.

The justices voted 5-2 to suspend Judge Timothy Ellender for a year without pay for dishonoring his position, but to defer half of that penalty. Ellender will lose more than $50,000 in pay, one judge noted.

Ellender, who is white, testified the costumes worn by him and his wife -- she was dressed as a policewoman -- were meant only as a joke to show he was her prisoner. The party's host, Ellender's brother-in-law, was dressed as Buckwheat.

The justices agreed Ellender did not mean to insult blacks. Nevertheless, they ordered him to take a sociology course "which will assist him in achieving a greater understanding of racial sensitivity."

Phone messages left with Ellender and his attorney, Bill Bordelon, were not immediately returned.

Jerome Boykin, head of the Terrebonne Parish branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, applauded the ruling.

"The Supreme Court sent a strong message that the court won't tolerate racist acts by judges," he said.

Bordelon argued Ellender should not be punished because the blackface incident occurred only once and was not persistent behavior. But Justice Chet Traylor, writing for the majority, said the incident was damaging.

"The negative shroud cast upon the state's judiciary by Judge Ellender's actions will only be lifted by time," Taylor said.

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1102944934918

the wearing of black face and his testimony offer great insight into how he thinks and how his perception of black people may influence his decisions.  if u look at the article it says "Ellender, who is white, testified the costumes worn by him and his wife -- she was dressed as a policewoman -- were meant only as a joke to show he was her prisoner.  so wearing a jail jumpsuit with handcuffs standing next to a woman dressed as an officer doesn't show the relationship of cop and prisoner?  no one would get the joke if u didn't wear black face?  that is a weak explanation but says a lot about his perception.  he associates being black with being a criminal.  this asscoaition will most likely spill over into his job.  if ur job is to judge guilt and innocense and u associate being a black with being a prisionor, u will be more likely and willing to convict a black person b/c u automatically are influenced by how you see this person beyond the evidence and testimony.  is that really fair and impartial?  aren't those major elements of your job?

should he be removed?  one part says yes, but then the other says no b/c all people arre influenced by our associations and perceptions.  however, most people don't do things as stupid as this.  

A.J

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2004, 01:23:42 PM »
^
Absolutely, I think that's the sad inference you're stuck with for this guy.  No blackface and no issue comes about in all likelihood.  And I donít care if it is the south, the guys a bigot and a fool, not a JUDGE!

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2004, 02:23:06 PM »
julie say mr. vagina-puncher sound strangely rational.  then again:  you say you want to be judge, and how would you judge a judge who used, or earned, such name?  is this any better than blackface?  hmmmmmm?

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2004, 02:50:05 PM »
This judge went too far with his Halloween costume. It simply is unbecoming of his position.

But, the biggest implication that emerges from this controversy is that apparently judges can be kicked off the bench for conduct that is wholly outside the scope of their job. What we should be concerned about is whether or not this type of disciplinary action would be extended to lesser acts. If so, then you could eventually fire the whole judiciary if you dug up politically-incorrect aspects of their past.

To be sure, this kind of controversy doesn't surprise me too much. This is the South.

I'm with you, Runner-up. In fact, if you fired all the judges in Louisiana who showed classlessness and tastelessness in public, you'd probably be hard pressed to find a filled bench.

IMO, this guy did NOTHING that would constitute his firing. Frankly, I want my judges to show their true colors so when I'm a lawyer I know which buttons to push. On a societal level, I must say that I'm tired of this activist, PC bullsh*t. If we can't take a joke, we are truly in trouble.

Tastelessness is NOT a crime, not even for a judge. 

A.J

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2004, 03:02:49 PM »
"Tastelessness" is a very weak assessment of what this sort of thing means.  I guess I'd like to know where my judge stands as well so that I could inform my accused African-American clients I'm packing it in from the outset. 

"Plea bargain boys, we've been assigned judge Bigot-Ellender."

This sort of thing isnít a joke.  No matter how you spin it, revealing ones immaturity and bias should be a one-way ticket down from the bench, anywhere.  You would hope this type of thing is not widespread in today's world but where it exists and becomes visible, it must be removed like cancer from our legal system, IMO.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2004, 04:07:21 PM »
tastelessness ok, but bigotry not.  neither is vagina-punching.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2004, 04:39:29 PM »
"Tastelessness" is a very weak assessment of what this sort of thing means.  I guess I'd like to know where my judge stands as well so that I could inform my accused African-American clients I'm packing it in from the outset. 

"Plea bargain boys, we've been assigned judge Bigot-Ellender."

This sort of thing isnít a joke.  No matter how you spin it, revealing ones immaturity and bias should be a one-way ticket down from the bench, anywhere.  You would hope this type of thing is not widespread in today's world but where it exists and becomes visible, it must be removed like cancer from our legal system, IMO.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. A social idiot is not a bigot. And yes- it was a joke. A BAD joke, but a joke just the same. Really, though, what was so offensive about what he did? Is a typical Louisiana prisoner dark-skinned or light-skinned? (I honestly don't know) If blacks are disproportionately represented in Louisiana's prison population, then his costume was accurate. Would his costume have passed your "bigotry" test if he'd painted his face white or red? Your overreaction indicates that YOU have some demons to slay when it comes to race matters. As for the judge, I don't know (and neither do you). All that can be determined from the story is that a man painted his face for a halloween party and ended up  losing his job and having his integrity undermined in front of his colleagues and the rest of the nation.

A.J

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2004, 04:47:56 PM »
That response is absolutely nonsensical.  I obviously have race demons, right (that only addresses one of the incredibly shallow things you had to say).  Get a clue, then respond as if you have a clue. 

Like I said, and I stand by it, dont paint your face and we dont have an issue.  He is a judge and judges must be held to a higher standard then what you suggest. 

btw-I am laughing out loud at the "representive costume" comment you made right now.

vmersich

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2004, 06:58:04 PM »
Buster, you're right. The sociology course sentence is ridiculous.  That isn't punishment.  It should've been a Women's Studies course.  Only then would he have learned his lesson.

Foot Fetish

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2005, 12:35:27 AM »
I believe that firing judges over minor acts of political incorrectness is even more dangerous than having this guy on the bench.

I'm with Slippery on this one.

Who's to say they won't come after guys who think feet are sexy?  I'm hoping every one on this board would defend my right to like feet.   8)