Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should This Man Still Have a Job?  (Read 3150 times)

A.J

Should This Man Still Have a Job?
« on: December 14, 2004, 10:39:52 PM »
Alright guys, this our future profession.  Do you realy want a half-wit bigot like this around?  A postion like judge requires a level of integrity that I think was clearly breached by his actions and as a consequence, I think he should have his right to practice in any capacity revoked.

Judge Suspended for Wearing Blackface at Halloween Party
Janet McConnaughey
The Associated Press
12-15-2004

A judge who wore blackface makeup, handcuffs and a jail jumpsuit at a Halloween party will be suspended for six months, the Louisiana Supreme Court ruled Monday.

The justices voted 5-2 to suspend Judge Timothy Ellender for a year without pay for dishonoring his position, but to defer half of that penalty. Ellender will lose more than $50,000 in pay, one judge noted.

Ellender, who is white, testified the costumes worn by him and his wife -- she was dressed as a policewoman -- were meant only as a joke to show he was her prisoner. The party's host, Ellender's brother-in-law, was dressed as Buckwheat.

The justices agreed Ellender did not mean to insult blacks. Nevertheless, they ordered him to take a sociology course "which will assist him in achieving a greater understanding of racial sensitivity."

Phone messages left with Ellender and his attorney, Bill Bordelon, were not immediately returned.

Jerome Boykin, head of the Terrebonne Parish branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, applauded the ruling.

"The Supreme Court sent a strong message that the court won't tolerate racist acts by judges," he said.

Bordelon argued Ellender should not be punished because the blackface incident occurred only once and was not persistent behavior. But Justice Chet Traylor, writing for the majority, said the incident was damaging.

"The negative shroud cast upon the state's judiciary by Judge Ellender's actions will only be lifted by time," Taylor said.

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1102944934918

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should This Man Still Have a Job?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 11:34:14 PM »
Opened this thread assuming it would be about Dubya.  :D 

(But I clearly agree.)

Alright guys, this our future profession.  Do you realy want a half-wit bigot like this around?  A postion like judge requires a level of integrity that I think was clearly breached by his actions and as a consequence, I think he should have his right to practice in any capacity revoked.

Judge Suspended for Wearing Blackface at Halloween Party
Janet McConnaughey
The Associated Press
12-15-2004

A judge who wore blackface makeup, handcuffs and a jail jumpsuit at a Halloween party will be suspended for six months, the Louisiana Supreme Court ruled Monday.

The justices voted 5-2 to suspend Judge Timothy Ellender for a year without pay for dishonoring his position, but to defer half of that penalty. Ellender will lose more than $50,000 in pay, one judge noted.

Ellender, who is white, testified the costumes worn by him and his wife -- she was dressed as a policewoman -- were meant only as a joke to show he was her prisoner. The party's host, Ellender's brother-in-law, was dressed as Buckwheat.

The justices agreed Ellender did not mean to insult blacks. Nevertheless, they ordered him to take a sociology course "which will assist him in achieving a greater understanding of racial sensitivity."

Phone messages left with Ellender and his attorney, Bill Bordelon, were not immediately returned.

Jerome Boykin, head of the Terrebonne Parish branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, applauded the ruling.

"The Supreme Court sent a strong message that the court won't tolerate racist acts by judges," he said.

Bordelon argued Ellender should not be punished because the blackface incident occurred only once and was not persistent behavior. But Justice Chet Traylor, writing for the majority, said the incident was damaging.

"The negative shroud cast upon the state's judiciary by Judge Ellender's actions will only be lifted by time," Taylor said.

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1102944934918
Attending: W&M

buster

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 09:03:08 AM »
yeah, this man should still have a job...he should be a tackling dummy

anyway, does anyone else think the fact that he was ordered to take a sociology course is freakin' hilarious?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 11:07:12 AM »
yeah, this man should still have a job...he should be a tackling dummy

anyway, does anyone else think the fact that he was ordered to take a sociology course is freakin' hilarious?

even better, maybe he'll take the course at bob jones u!

buster

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 11:12:58 AM »
but what do you think about the sociology course? (or should I ask that on the lobe thread?)

I believe that firing judges over minor acts of political incorrectness is even more dangerous than having this guy on the bench.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 11:15:19 AM »
I believe that firing judges over minor acts of political incorrectness is even more dangerous than having this guy on the bench.

he fired for being even more ignorant than allowed while wielding a gavel.

buster

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 11:20:15 AM »
I feel like jumping up and down and yelling as loud as I can about how ridiculous the sociology course order is.

A.J

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 11:49:26 AM »
The sociology course thing is a farse. 

The most basic tenant of being a judge is having good judgement, no?  I see this as more then just political incorrectness, its borderline racism.  In the very least its a type of stereotyping that reveals a bias.  I dont see how he can retain any respect after putting himself, and the position of judge to shame like this. 

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 11:52:38 AM »
The sociology course thing is a farse.

The most basic tenant of being a judge is having good judgement, no? I see this as more then just political incorrectness, its borderline racism. In the very least its a type of stereotyping that reveals a bias. I dont see how he can retain any respect after putting himself, and the position of judge to shame like this.

and what would mr. virtue say about threatening to punch a vagina, hmmm?

A.J

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 11:55:06 AM »
and what would mr. virtue say about threatening to punch a vagina, hmmm?

I want to punch you in the vagina.

HTH