Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 2700 times)

random*

• View Profile
« on: December 14, 2004, 07:43:57 PM »

bhvexille

Re: New here, and have a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 07:46:50 PM »
Assuming you're doing something you like and are good at, are there undergrad degrees that are looked more highly upon than others, or does it not matter?

Major in Chemistry

Not only is a hard-science major worth more than a "soft" social science major (given an equal GPA), but having a background in science (ESPECIALLY chemistry or engineering)  is extremely useful (and sometimes necessary) for getting a good job in Patent Law, which pays very well, if you decide to go that route (maximize your options)

That said, if you're not good at math, stay away from chem, physics, and engineering.  If you still want to go the hard-sciences route, you could go with Bio, which doesn't require much math.

bhvexille

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 08:04:11 PM »
I think all "soft" degrees are created equal.. except an english major might be slightly better because it ensures you'll be well read.. but the difference (admissions-wise) is probably negligible.

Above all, major in something you ENJOY, and something that will be easy for you to get a lot of A's in.

A 4.0 GPA in Communications is better than a 3.0 in Physics.

timma21

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 01:02:45 AM »
I have yet another question... do law schools interview applicants that they're considering, like med schools do?

Not generally. Dal and Mcgill do for some applicants I believe. More likely if you are a mature applicant. Most schools, no interviews at all.
? / 163/ Canada

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 01:24:39 AM »
Interviews are only for mature students. If you want to go into law take whatever you're best at, law schools don't really care what you take, unless it's something utterly ridiculous like fine arts.

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 08:23:36 AM »
Philosophy is a good starting point...philosophy majors do well.

So do econ majors.

Take at least one logic course...if you want a JD and a LLB go to windsor, but be forewarned, subpar edu there...

Matt

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 06:27:49 PM »
I believe UofOttawa ... or carleton?  not sure, anyways, they have a JD/LLB program as well.

One of the Ottawa schools.

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 08:32:28 PM »
Ottawa does as well...i forgot.

Ottawa is associated with Michigan State...a much better choice than Windsor, who is affiliated with Detroit Mercy and Wayne State

Matt

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 09:54:06 PM »
If you want to work in US, go to US.  If you want to work in Canada, go to Canada.

Going to US from Canada is hard.  Going from US to Canada is even harder.  Don't do it if you can avoid it.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 05:42:09 AM »
hold on though ...

you're in your first year of undergrad right?  You really don't need to be worrying about this stuff yet.  Just concentrate on picking your major and getting good grades.  The rest will follow - and I'm sure you're plans will change between now and when you have to apply to law schools (if that's still what you want to do 4 years from now).