Law School Discussion

Law Schools' Reputations (i.e. How cutthroat)

maximumtennis82

Re: Law Schools' Reputations (i.e. How cutthroat)
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 09:54:42 PM »
Have talked with a lot of umich kids and none of them seem to think things are all that competitive here.  People study like mad for exams, but there is no animosity between students and people general share outlines/have study groups/etc.

the REAL desi

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 09:55:51 PM »
Have talked with a lot of umich kids and none of them seem to think things are all that competitive here.  People study like mad for exams, but there is no animosity between students and people general share outlines/have study groups/etc.

what are you doing in that avatar?

maximumtennis82

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 11:00:42 PM »
Hehe...I'm not entirely sure.  Was taken during an impromptu photo shoot a couple friends and I held after getting trashed at a wine social.   ;D

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 11:24:30 PM »
A friend of mine is in her 3rd year at Brooklyn Law School.  I visited her in NYC last year and met tons of her friends.  Jeez, all I heard was about how jealous and alienated the students were of one another.  Everybody felt like they weren't going to get a job and everybody was suspicious of their classmates.

I really couldn't believe it -- because Brooklyn is a good school.  People get good jobs from Brooklyn.

I haven't heard that Michigan is too bad.  A good friend of mine recently graduated from UMich and he seemed to think of it as more relaxed. 

I do think that schools in the west and not in large cities tend to be somewhat less competitive, but I could be wrong. 

TLFKARG

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 03:09:37 PM »
From what I've gathered on this and other boards:

Cutt-throat: Chicago
Not-at-all: Yale, Stanford

I've actually heard Stanford was pretty bad, but maybe that's because our school is just sooooooooooo relaxed and friendly.

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 11:14:24 PM »
i would say practically every school ranked 15-30 is cut-throat competitive because of potential OCI ramifications of class rank and because of the fact that alot of students at these schools are convinced that they should be in a T14 and are hoping to transfer.  after that, I would say alot of t4 schools are cut-throat competitive because a vast majority of the people are trying to transfer up.  haven't heard of t2 and t3 schools

but do you really think there is that much of a difference between #14 and #15? I'd buy your argument for maybe schools ranked 20+, but i doubt that USC is significantly more competitive than UT-austin becuase of their ranking...

the REAL desi

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 11:25:47 PM »
14 seems to be a magical cut-off point for so many things in the law school arena, so yea, i would think so.  probably west coast people at USC are pretty sure about their desire to stay out there, but i'm guessing the kids from the NE are itching to get back to NY which would still require a high class rank

Troy McClure

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2004, 08:00:36 AM »
A lot will depend on your classmates.  I have a friend who graduated from Georgetown recently, and he hated it.  His section was full of gunners that would try to sabotage everything from classmates grades to interviews.  The stories he told were insane. 

The funny thing is when he talked to upperclassmen and those in other sections they would tell him how they had it much better.  He just got stuck in the section full of a-holes.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2004, 08:34:13 AM »
That's a good point.  I think a lot of future law students want some concrete answer, as if they will be going to school with robots.

That said, I do think a law school can harbor more competetiveness with its culture.

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2004, 02:35:22 AM »
The schools that I have heard mentioned as especially cut-throat are Georgetown and Harvard. I have a friend who attended chicago 10ish years ago and he said that it wasn't that especially cut-throat then but I also know that he never gave a *&^% about his class rank.