Law School Discussion

Law Schools' Reputations (i.e. How cutthroat)

Law Schools' Reputations (i.e. How cutthroat)
« on: December 14, 2004, 01:42:29 PM »
So, I know that there are certain schools that have a reputation of being rather cutthroat (hiding books that other people will need - that kind of thing).  Supposedly, by asking around it's supposed to be easy to find out, but I've been having some difficulty.  (Okay, I'm lazy and haven't asked that many people yet...)  I'm trying to decide where to go next fall and would like to avoid schools that are particularly nasty if possible.  Does anyone have any information on (Tier 1) law schools that are cutthroat?  Thanks.

maximumtennis82

Re: Law Schools' Reputations (i.e. How cutthroat)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 02:56:54 PM »
From what I've gathered on this and other boards:

Cutt-throat: Chicago
Not-at-all: Yale, Stanford

maricutie

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 03:25:35 PM »
I hear Hastings in CA (bay area) is pretty cutthroat b/c it has to compete w/all the stanford and berkeley grads. Also hear bad things about Baylor (in TX, i think).

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 06:05:12 PM »
just what i have heard from people on the board and friend of a friend of a friend....at columbia and g'town.  i dont know how bad, but certainly have reputation for being pretty competitive.  cornell and yale sound closer to other extreme.

bhvexille

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 06:07:39 PM »
You can get a lot of good info on this from "What students say" on the princeton review pages of these law schools

Sometimes the info is under "Academics" and other times under "Campus Life" or whatever

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 09:15:53 PM »
I've heard good things about UVA in this regard, as being not cutthroat. I believe that for the most part, the lower rated schools in major cities will be more cuttthroat; Hastings certainly is, for the reason previously cited. I would guess that Cardozo and Fordham in NYC are as well (though I may certainly be wrong on this).
I have heard that Chicago, Columbia and Georgetown are to varing degrees cutthroat/competitive and that Yale, Boalt, UCLA and a few others are pretty relaxed.

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 09:27:46 PM »
I've heard from a senior official at Georgetown that the students there are ridiculous.  Cutting pages out of books, misinforming people about exam times, lots of assorted stupidity.  I'm glad I'm not going there.

Cornell, on the other hand, has been very, very pleasant every time I've visited.  No complaints from anyone - I'll let you know first hand next sem - I'm taking a couple classes down there.

BigTex

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 09:29:37 PM »
anyone know the rep of Michigan in this regard?

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 09:36:37 PM »
my friend at michigan now loves it and never mentioned anything about it being excessively competitive.  i dont know much else.

the REAL desi

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 09:52:01 PM »
i would say practically every school ranked 15-30 is cut-throat competitive because of potential OCI ramifications of class rank and because of the fact that alot of students at these schools are convinced that they should be in a T14 and are hoping to transfer.  after that, I would say alot of t4 schools are cut-throat competitive because a vast majority of the people are trying to transfer up.  haven't heard of t2 and t3 schools