Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suffolk Scholarships  (Read 2957 times)

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
Suffolk Scholarships
« on: April 20, 2004, 11:46:16 AM »
Did anyone get offered scholarships by Suffolk?  How much?  What were your #s?

weezyramo

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Suffolk Scholarships
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 01:09:49 PM »
i got 10 grand but decided not to go because I got into Northeastern

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 01:19:48 PM »
What were your stats?

jhport12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 04:16:18 PM »
Northeastern isn't necessarily better than Suffolk, it depends on what you want to do.  Suffolk is very plugged in to the financial district in Boston.  Northeastern doesn't give out grades or rankings, which can make getting interviews harder.

Weez, are you choosing between Suffolk w/10k and Northeastern w/zero?  Do you have specific reasons for choosing NUSL over Suffolk?

I got only 6k at Suffolk, this in spite of having a 167 LSAT score.  I am on the waitlist at Northeastern, but pretty confident they will extend me an offer come June.  Depending on the aid they give me, I might have a difficult choice to make.

P.S.  My GPA is a little low (2.83), due to a bad sophomore slump, but I graduated from a good school.  My high LSAT score is saving me, it seems.

weezyramo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 04:39:06 PM »
I got 2 grand from Northeastern. The reason I chose Northeastern is becuase of the Coop which seems to help Students get jobs and becuase the median starting salary is way  higher (95 for NE and 60 for Suffolk). Also, the people that I have talked to told me that at suffolk you seem to get the "black letter law" teachings. Also Northeastern rep in boston is increasing every year. Notice in the rankings that they are on a steady climb whereas suffolk fell from a tier 3 to a tier 4.
My numbers were not that stellar (3.64 comp eng and a 156). I was very shocked I got in with these number but am extremely happy.

Though northeastern does not give out grades they have Teacher evaluations which have "buzz" words that are similar to grades.
In the end I would say the coop was the largest reason, it will allow me to find an area of the law the interest me.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 08:22:07 PM »
I didn't apply to Northeastern and cannot at this moment remember why.  But I'm hoping to do well first year at Suffolk and transfer to BU or BC; we'll see how that goes...

jhport12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 05:59:30 PM »
weez,

I think you're right that the Coop program gives NUSL a big advantage over Suffolk.

It's ironic that you have a good GPA and less stellar LSAT and I have a good LSAT and a less stellar GPA; I wonder if Northeastern weighs the GPA more heavily than the LSAT.  I have also been told that Suffolk leans toward the more conservative side (as much as you can in Massachusetts) and Northeastern is much more liberal and laid-back.

It's a tough choice, but I actually met and spoke with an NUSL student and she made it seem like Northeastern gives you the chance to really learn the law and try out different types of practice whereas other law schools make you stressed out about class rankings and don't give you many chances to try out different types of law.

weezyramo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 06:54:51 PM »
I agree with all your sentiments. Everyone I know that has gone to or is currently enrolled at Northeastern had/has a great experience there.  I also think Northeasthern's standards are increasing that their rank will do the same.  I have also met some applicants who were accepted to BU and Northeastern and are torn becuase the like the enviornment of Northeastern but are concerned that turning down the prestige of BU would be a big mistake. I guess it really come to down to which school fits you best, and for me that was Northeastern.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 07:35:29 PM »
So it turns out they sent my award letter over a week ago and it should already have been here. Where could it be? Did someone steal it? I'm starting to think the law school admissions spies are out to get me.  Okay, I've been involved in this process way too long...  :P