Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadian law schools suck ...  (Read 5176 times)

A.J

Re: Canadian law schools suck ...
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2004, 10:11:11 PM »
I havent actually applied anywhere yet.  There is still lots of time and I wont get my score for another couple of weeks. 

What do you know about U Vic as a school?  I am not very familier with Canadian universities or rankings.  About all I can say is Victoria is one of the nicest places I've ever visited.   I do know that you cant beat the tuition, less than 8,000 C$!

pnut

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2004, 11:18:03 PM »
Hey Mr. Grouchy, I got into UVic in November and I went to visit the school. The scenery around the building is just breathtaking and the weather is amazing. The students I spoke with said it doesn't rain as much as Vancouver but I'm not so sure about that. The building is fairly old but much much better than at UBC. Apparently there aren't enough seats in the classes for all the students at UBC! And there's an electrical outlet for each student at UVic as opposed to UBC if you need to use a laptop. The class size is fairly small at UVic (approx 100 students) which makes for a very collegial and non-competitive learning environment. From my brief visit there, I got the sense that the students and staff are extremely helpful and friendly. Sadly, I had a very bad experience when touring UBC which is too bad since it would have been great to go to school in Vanvouver. So far UVic is my number 1 until I hear back from Ontario schools.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2004, 01:39:13 AM »
I find it extremely frustrating that just about every law school in the country other than Ontario schools get the ball rolling before the end of the year.  Very frustrating...
No longer here.

A.J

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2004, 01:40:36 AM »
Where are you planning on going, C?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2004, 01:41:42 AM »
Where are you planning on going, C?

Ontario, preferablly Osgoode Hall in Toronto if they take me.
No longer here.

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2004, 08:24:32 AM »
Alberta doesnt give anyone an official sniff until Jan 10th.

Matt

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2004, 09:40:03 AM »
I find it extremely frustrating that just about every law school in the country other than Ontario schools get the ball rolling before the end of the year.  Very frustrating...

extremely frustrating.  I don't know why the deadline was Nov. 2nd if they weren't going to be looking at anything until Jan.  Also, I don't know why UofT and Osgoode (and I'm guessing every other law school in ontario) don't get your application until the end of November from OLSAS...just doesn't make sense.

jurist

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2004, 10:35:41 PM »
Mr. Grouchy, UVic's tuition is over $8K this year and next year it'll be around $9.5K
Not the lowest in Canada but not the highest either.

A.J

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2004, 01:10:55 AM »
Tuition for the 2004/2005 academic year is approximately $7,421.20 per year plus applicable student society and activity fees in the range of $765 per academic year. Law students should expect to spend up to $1500 per year on texts and course materials. Co-op students pay a fee of approximately $554 per work term. Foreign visa students are required to pay tuition fees at three times the rate of Canadian residents.

Where did you hear that?  The bold part is the only issue for me, although, thats basically comperable to what I'll probably be paying state-side anyway.

http://www.law.uvic.ca/FAQ_Menu/FAQ_tuition_and_aid.html

superius

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2004, 09:30:28 PM »
Cheeks, I agree.  I have sort of been all over the place about which country (Canada/USA) to go to school in but I am pretty sure that I am heading the USA for law school.  The thing that put me over the top was one of my professors that wrote a LoR for me.  He asked if the US schools I applied to didn't need LoRs (because I didnt ask him for one) and I said I didnt apply to any yet, was still thinking it over because I'm not going to get into a top 14.  The look on his face said it all, not to mention the words he had to say after, basically telling me I'm crazy even if I can't get into Yale.  Basically it is his opinion that almost any top 100 USA law school will give me a better education and better opportunities than any Canadian law school...after researching it I tend to believe him.  Not to mention life is to short to spend it all in an arctic wasteland.