Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadian law schools suck ...  (Read 5273 times)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Canadian law schools suck ...
« on: December 13, 2004, 07:34:17 PM »
I'm going on the record to say that all Canadian law schools are ttts.  I tried to convince myself that I would be happy going to a school like UofT or Osgoode, but I've come to the realization that I won't.

After going to UofT for ugrad, and now dealing with their law schools administration staff, I'm completely turned off the school.  Everyone hear is so pompous;  especially the people at the law school!

damn UofT. 

And Osgoode is even worse.

jurist

• View Profile
You suck
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 09:33:48 PM »
Maybe you feel that way because you know you won't get accepted to the Canadian law school of your choice and the only way you're able to handle it is to mock the character and quality of Canadian insitutions. The fact is that all schools in Canada offer a fine legal education so just because you're getting the brush off from UofT and Osgoode doesn't mean you won't be able to receive a top notch education somewhere else. Why not brush up your marks & scores, edit your personal statement, and get involved in extracurricular activities to release some stress rather than unloading a tirade on the very school system that is educating you as we speak? People who are as ungrateful as you are don't deserve to receive higher education in this great coutnry of ours. As far as I'm concerned you can go to school wherever you want and take your distorted attitude with you. Wherever it is, I just hope it's not in Canada for the good of all the other future law students out there.

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Canadian law schools suck ...
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 05:56:51 AM »
Jurist:  can i curb stomp your face?  You f-ing monkey
K thx

Matt

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: You suck
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 08:11:24 AM »
Maybe you feel that way because you know you won't get accepted to the Canadian law school of your choice and the only way you're able to handle it is to mock the character and quality of Canadian insitutions. The fact is that all schools in Canada offer a fine legal education so just because you're getting the brush off from UofT and Osgoode doesn't mean you won't be able to receive a top notch education somewhere else. Why not brush up your marks & scores, edit your personal statement, and get involved in extracurricular activities to release some stress rather than unloading a tirade on the very school system that is educating you as we speak? People who are as ungrateful as you are don't deserve to receive higher education in this great coutnry of ours. As far as I'm concerned you can go to school wherever you want and take your distorted attitude with you. Wherever it is, I just hope it's not in Canada for the good of all the other future law students out there.

my comments had nothing to do with the quality of education offered by Canadian law schools.  It was more a comment about the "distorted attitude" that most schools hold.

I don't think my post was really a "tirade" but either way, maybe I'll take your advice and work on those things  ::)

gdmc2004

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 09:40:58 AM »
Hello Cheeks,
I have to agree with you. Although the reputations for the schools are great, heck, they're the best, lets face it. Amidst deciding which law schools to apply to, I did a lot of research, and asked several different people what they thought of different schools. Having asked university proffesors, some of them who were friends with Osgoode and U of T profs were overwhelmingly for students applying to other schools because of the ideologies that those schools have.  The general comment was something like: "There are so many other really good schools" (the more i researched the more i have become convinced that they are right) I did really well in their classes so I don't think it was said under the assumption that i wouldn't get in.
PS I'm sure wherever you get in, they will be very lucky to have you.

jurist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 11:48:28 AM »
Cheeks, good to see you can take a little constructive criticism. Cheers.

Matthew_24_24, you're the perfect example of the immature twits we have applying to get accepted to law school in Canada. Rather than sitting in front of the screen for hours trying to come up with the intelliget responses you give, go and read some books and grow up! If you give those kind of responses as a lawyer, you won't be getting farther than your front door. Good luck my friend. Haha.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 11:51:05 AM »
Cheeks were you drunk when you wrote that? UofT Law admissions people might be pompous, but the people at Osgoode have been really helpful for me. Beyond that, I know a lot of them (both my parents are profs at York) and any concept that they're not nice is ridiculous.

In any case, Cheeks it's looked like you wanted to go South for a long time. I can't remember your exact numbers, but you will probably get in somehwere good down there. Just take the extra money, I'm tempted almost every day...

Jurist, way to post your first remark slagging off a guy who has helped tons of people on this board and is well liked by pretty much everyone here. Talk about growing up, jesus...

jurist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 12:07:02 PM »
Praetor, even you as a long time member question whether Cheeks was drunk.

Well IF you were Cheeks, let me be the first to apologize for my post. But regardless of that, I feel we need to vigorously defend Canada's education system whenever it's attacked.

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 12:25:13 PM »
DUDE ILL f-ing DUEL YOU FOR ACCOUNTS

PLEASE COME TO U OF ALBERTA SO I CAN PUNCH YOU IN THE JAW

MATT

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 12:48:34 PM »
You're right, that the people at osgoode are extremely helpful and I'd imagine that their profs are nice as well.  I can say that UofT's profs are really quite helpful, since I've taken courses with many of them.

My post was meant more to criticize the way Canadian schools go about the whole application procedure.  Just a few examples are:

-Osgoode being different from everyone else with the stupid 2000 word essays
-Neither UofT nor Osgoode doing admissions on a rolling basis (and instead waiting for dec. LSATs)
-UVic's ridiculous index cutoff thing (in fact, any school using a cutoff, as osgoode is rumored to be doing, is insane in my opinion)

As for the legal education that these schools provide, I'm sure its very good.  I just don't like how certain schools (uoft, osgoode, uvic) feel they're better than everyone else and that they can treat their applicants as poorly as they do.  Another example, I went to UofT to ask someone about my application status and get some information.  I didn't even want to talk to anyone important ... just a secretary or someone in administration about some basic things.  Basically, I was told that they get 2000 applications and they don't have time to help me.  Contrast that with: a couple weeks ago, I visited Umich which gets 5000+ applications and received a personal tour from the assitant dean of admissions.   

I really don't care.  I haven't been accepted or rejected from these schools, but either way it doesn't matter - I won't be attending any of them. 

If I had to do it again, I would have applied to a school like UDal or Queens ... muh