Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mercer and Arkansas!  (Read 1845 times)

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Mercer and Arkansas!
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2004, 12:04:19 PM »
My few concern for UA..

From what I have read, they are going thru some construction...would that be loud and distracting for years to come? Some UF law students complain about the construction that's going on right now at UF Law.  

I would imagine only few of their grads are going to be employed by Walmart..what about the rest.. where do they usually work? I have read that mostly are employed at very small firms..I prefer medim to big size firms.  

Why do you and I have similiar taste in law school. UGA is so on top of my list..as well as FSU and UF (I am FL resident).  University of Tennessee is right behind those three with GSU and UA behind Tennessee.  

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2004, 12:09:57 PM »
They're all halfway decent law schools in the South. :)  My choices are ranked on my LSN account...in my signature.

Honestly, without getting into a T1 school, being at the top of your class, or going to a school that's the only ABA accredited law school in the state (South Carolina), I don't think it's going to be very easy for someone to break into a bigger law firm.  But it just depends on the area, I'm sure.

I also don't know Arkansas's placement stats in regards to firm sizes.  They place a lot in corporate (according to the ABA guide), and I imagine a fair amount of that is Wal-Mart.  I'm not interested in corporate law, though.  They also place a fair amound in government, which I am more interested in.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2004, 01:58:10 PM »
Honestly, without getting into a T1 school, being at the top of your class, or going to a school that's the only ABA accredited law school in the state (South Carolina), I don't think it's going to be very easy for someone to break into a bigger law firm.  But it just depends on the area, I'm sure.

I just don't prefer working in a small firm and my definition of a small firm is a 5 attorney office.  I don't expect to get into a BIG firm, but a medium size would be nice.  Actually, I would love to work in corporate law...the hours are shorter and the pay is decent.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2004, 02:26:40 PM »
See, I was thinking small firm meant like under 50 attorneys.

Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

bill brasky

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2005, 08:08:31 PM »
I am a current student at U of A.  The school is set up for wireless.  The construction is not that bad, just started though.  If anyone has any other questions, feel free to send them on. 

andyh21

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2005, 09:12:20 PM »
 I received an acceptance to Arkansas via snail-mail. Later received another letter with scholarship offer. I never sent them a personal statement since they never asked for one. You don't have to worry about not being given a scholarship due to lack of a personal statement.