Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mercer and Arkansas!  (Read 1863 times)

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Mercer and Arkansas!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 10:15:55 PM »
Oh Happy Day!  In at my first two T2 schools--Mercer and U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) vial snail mail today.

Mercer said that it is likely that I am eligible for merit scholarships and that decisions will go out in mid-February.

Arkansas says my admission is "tenative"--so I have to call tomorrow and find out what that means.  From the information they sent me, however, it seems the only condition is that I hold an undergrad degree and send them $75.  We'll see.

I got that "tenative" on my acceptance letter too. I checked about what it meant and the admissions office said that all it meant was that deposits had to be turned in on time to ensure your acceptance.

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 10:16:13 PM »
Oh Happy Day!  In at my first two T2 schools--Mercer and U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) vial snail mail today.

Mercer said that it is likely that I am eligible for merit scholarships and that decisions will go out in mid-February.

Arkansas says my admission is "tenative"--so I have to call tomorrow and find out what that means.  From the information they sent me, however, it seems the only condition is that I hold an undergrad degree and send them $75.  We'll see.

I got that "tenative" on my acceptance letter too. I checked about what it meant and the admissions office said that all it meant was that deposits had to be turned in on time to ensure your acceptance.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 09:15:05 AM »
I got an offer today thru email from University of Arkansas; half tuition. ;D

How come my favorite 3 (FSU, UGA, and UF) still haven't show me any love yet?

Ok, I'm really jealous about the scholarship money.  Are you in state or something?
Mfitz, did you send a PS to UA-Fayetteville? I know they didn't request one, but some other people on here who sent one in have already been admitted too......

Curious cuz I've got stats like yours(and higher than some other people that have gotten in), have been complete for about a month, and they havent told me sh*t, wondering if its cuz I didn't send a PS............

I'm starting to feel unloved....... :'(

No, I didn't send a PS, and if I didn't get money because I didn't send a PS when they didn't ask for one, well, then, I'm going to be pissed.

Congratulations! We could be twins except I think you are much younger. I'll be interested to see if you get into UGA. Why didn't you apply to Ga State?

I probably am much younger--I'm 21.

I didn't apply to Ga State because the app fee was too much.  That, and while I would love to live near Atlanta, I don't think I actually want to live in Atlanta...I don't want to have to drive in that mess.

I hope I get into UGA too!  And good luck to you!
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 10:34:06 AM »

Ok, I'm really jealous about the scholarship money.  Are you in state or something?

I hope I get into UGA too!  And good luck to you!

No, not instate; I am the one with the low stats, not URM, remember? My index was like 196, while I supposed to have 205 to get in.   Why do you care about the scholarship? I thought you're not interested in UA that much anyway.

I hope I get into UGA too (with scholarship and grants).   ;D 

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 11:06:31 AM »
God, you didn't have to be so snide, I know you're the one with the low stats, that's why I asked if you were instate.  In fact, I think I was one of the few who tried to help and encourage you.

Did you get your scholarship offer at the same time as your acceptance?  I called the dean today, and he said that while I would probably qualify, it would be later in the cycle before they could guarantee anything.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 11:14:31 AM »

I think their acceptance lette/package is pretty standard for everyone.  I got the scholarship offer after acceptance letter. The Dean seems nice.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 11:26:33 AM »
Yeah, the dean seemed very nice.  He talked to me for like a half an hour, telling me about Arkansas and their graduates.  He says a lot of their graduates do corporate law for Wal-Mart, since their headquarters are right there.

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2004, 11:37:25 AM »
Yeah, the dean seemed very nice.  He talked to me for like a half an hour, telling me about Arkansas and their graduates.  He says a lot of their graduates do corporate law for Wal-Mart, since their headquarters are right there.

What else did he tell you about the school and its graduates?  Are you considering going there.  To me, the low price tag is very tempting.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 11:49:27 AM »
As things stand now, it's certainly a possibility--obviously, other acceptances (UGA) would sway me.

Right now they're at the top of my list.  I also like Mercer, but Arkansas is a lot cheaper.

The dean tried to get me to come visit, and I told him that it would probably have to wait until after the holidays, but I would definitely visit before making final decisions.  He asked about my interests, and told me about their health law program.  He also told me that one of their current senators is a graduate, etc.

The only thing that really worries me (and this is personal preference) is that the law school is not set up for wireless internet.  I imagine the library ethernet jacks get pretty busy around exam time...

A_guy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 12:02:41 PM »
congrats!!!

since u of arkansas is the only acceptance i have gotten so far its at the top of my list. LOL.  it has gotten major bonus points b/c it was the last school i applied to, requested my report on 11/23 (i think), and called me 12/9 to say i was accepted. it was quick.

btw, i got the tentative admissions letter too and that basically means i have to send the $75 deposit, transcript, and a photo.  since i have until april to do all that i am gonna wait to see if i get in at some other schools.

as for the personal statemnet stuff, i don't think that would keep u from scholarship money since u have the scores.

s