Law School Discussion

Poll

The jury recommended the death penalty in the Scott Peterson case today.  How do you feel about the verdict?

I think he should fry.
I think he should have been sentenced to life.
Not sure.

Scott Peterson Death Penalty Poll

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
Scott Peterson Death Penalty Poll
« on: December 13, 2004, 02:10:26 PM »
Personally, I think the verdict was a legitimate one in terms of the confines of the law.  It's the law that I think is illegitimate and ill-suited for a civilized Western society.

maricutie

Re: Scott Peterson Death Penalty Poll
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 02:37:04 PM »
Being originally from CA, I've been following this case with alot of interest. It seems like it was entirely based on purely circumstancial evidence that was blown up in the face of media scrutiny. That, and the emotionalism involved in seeing blown-up autopsy photos repeatedly.

I had a much better post of this on my blog that I was going to post, but livejournal is acting up. Will post later.

amarain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 05:31:54 PM »
Yeah, all he did was murder his wife and baby. It's not like he did something really bad that deserves death as a punishment or anything.

I know the evidence was mostly circumstantial, but it still seems awfully damning. He was supposedly fishing at the same place their bodies were found, but couldn't tell the police what he was fishing for, changed his story, told his mistress he was a widower and this would be his first Christmas without his wife, was caught in disguise at the Mexican border with $10,000 cash...hmm..But then, I wasn't at the trial, so I don't really know what the jury knew.

newy

• HLS 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 05:41:11 PM »
If you could guarantee that he was going to be locked up for life, and they would make him actually do some work in there, then I would say no death penalty. 

NYKnicks

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 05:47:38 PM »
He doesn't desever death.

He does deserve jailtime where his cornhole will be railed nightly. Now that's punishment.

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 05:59:45 PM »
See, that's pretty much how I feel.  To me, he doesn't deserve anything as good as death.  Lock him up for the rest of his natural life with no way to get out.  I think that's a much better punishment.

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 06:05:35 PM »
i didnt follow the case at all, but no one should be sentenced to death on circumstantial evidence (if at all).  yes, i am aware that most people are convicted based on circumstantial evidence.  regardless, what bothered me the most was the AP report of people cheering outside the courthouse when they heard the decision.  i dont care if people feel a certain individual deserves to die, cheering at the death sentence of someone (excluding perhaps a handful of people throughout history) strikes me as extremely callous.

(btw amarain, you mentioned at some point how arbitrary the media can be in choosing what "is important" and newsworthy.  i could never figure out why this particular case garnered so much attention.  not that the crime wasn't heinous, it certainly was, but unfortunately heinous crimes are committed all the time).

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 06:08:13 PM »
See, that's pretty much how I feel.  To me, he doesn't deserve anything as good as death.  Lock him up for the rest of his natural life with no way to get out.  I think that's a much better punishment.

me to, i haven't had corrections yet but also - no visits

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 06:23:07 PM »
i didnt follow the case at all, but no one should be sentenced to death on circumstantial evidence (if at all).  yes, i am aware that most people are convicted based on circumstantial evidence.  regardless, what bothered me the most was the AP report of people cheering outside the courthouse when they heard the decision.  i dont care if people feel a certain individual deserves to die, cheering at the death sentence of someone (excluding perhaps a handful of people throughout history) strikes me as extremely callous.

(btw amarain, you mentioned at some point how arbitrary the media can be in choosing what "is important" and newsworthy.  i could never figure out why this particular case garnered so much attention.  not that the crime wasn't heinous, it certainly was, but unfortunately heinous crimes are committed all the time).

I watched as the verdict was read on TV, or rather, as people listened to the audio feed outside the courthouse, and from what I saw/heard, no one cheered.  I think a few people clapped, I heard a few boos, but mostly what I heard were gasps of surprise.  They did however, cheer when the original guilty verdict was read a few weeks back.

maricutie

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 06:35:41 PM »
Found my post:

If I can remember correctly, the American judicial system still operates on the presumption of innocence until proven guilty -- and, in cases such as these, until proven guilty BEYOND THE SHADOW OF A DOUBT. Perhaps it's just me, but I still have a few doubts, not to mention their shadows. There has been NO smoking gun, no facinating forensics that even PLACE peterson at the time and place of the crime, and, really, no convincing motive. Nothing has been shown that rules out the possibility of a random murder by some strange psycho who happened to encounter Lacie. Everything is more of a medley of could haves, most likelys, and probablys than I care to think about. I guess what mattered here was the sprinking among such uncertainty of blown up grisly images, heart-wrenching home videos, and rabid media attention.