Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GSU! But where's the scholarship???  (Read 1723 times)

Lavia

GSU! But where's the scholarship???
« on: April 19, 2004, 10:51:02 PM »
Anyone else get accepted to GSU? I got an acceptance letter today, but they didn't mention any scholarship! I'm out of state...I really need a scholarship.

I'm calling them tomorrow to inquire, but if it's not in the acceptance letter does that mean I didn't get a scholarship?
(FCSL and Thomas Cooley are looking better and better (50% scholarships at each)).

Lavia

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
Re: GSU! But where's the scholarship???
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 11:21:35 PM »
I'm sorry, but does GSU mean Georgia State University...or is there some other GSU???

Based on their historical admittance numbers, I don't see how you were accepted, and certainly don't understand why you would get a scholarship. 

Help me to understand...or am I just misguided???

I would have tried to go to GSU, but I didn't think my numbers would do it for me.

Lavia

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 11:32:22 PM »
I'm sorry, but does GSU mean Georgia State University...or is there some other GSU???

Based on their historical admittance numbers, I don't see how you were accepted, and certainly don't understand why you would get a scholarship. 

Help me to understand...or am I just misguided???

I would have tried to go to GSU, but I didn't think my numbers would do it for me.

Hi! Sorry, should have clarified. Yes, Georgia State Univ. I never looked at the historical data, so I just applied blind. Maybe the low scores are why I didn't get the scholarship.

But I can't explain the acceptance except for the following: Non tradtional (30 yrs old, 10 years of work experience, Black, female, recent crime victim and therefore passionate and spent a lot of time in court, and I wrote a good pers. statement, and I called them and expressed interest a few times (one person said they would take my app to the committee personally).

So, you think a scholarship would have been in the acceptance letter? Has anyone tried begging for one and gotten one?

Thanks!

Lavia

Lavia

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 11:34:16 PM »
Oh, and my undergrad, though the grades were low, was from Univ. of Mich, B.S. Biology, which may give me some extra boost points I guess.  ??? I don't know. Just happy. Univ of GA turned me down, though.

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 08:17:42 AM »
I'm really excited you got accepted!  :)

I got rejected last year with a 2.87/150,154 and expect the same this year.  Must be your non-traditional aspects that helped you out (I don't have any of those)!  :)

I would say probably no scholarship though, those are really low numbers for them to take.  Best of luck though, maybe it'll work out!  And if you can afford going there, I'd still pick it over Cooley and FCSL!
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 08:20:25 AM »
As a side note...I just checked and I went to "decision made" on the online status check for GSU today!  I'm going to try and call and bug someone like you did, maybe they'll tell me something.  :)

If I get in GSU then I'll definitely forget the whole situation I have trying to decide between Whittier and FCSL!!  :)
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 08:27:16 AM »
Hey, Lavia....

Try this for me.  Go to this page:  http://law.gsu.edu/prospect/PS_OOS_FRAMESET_FinAid.htm

Click on the GoSOLAR link and see if it'll let you log in.  I know admitted students are supposed to be able to get on, just not sure how fast they get it set up for you.  I just tried to log in and couldn't, so not sure if that means I didn't get in or that its just not set up yet.  Try and let me know if it works for you  :)  Thanks!

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 09:05:43 AM »
Sorry, I know this is my third post in a row....

Just called GSU and begged them to tell me to no avail.  I finally got the Dean of Admissions on the phone and she said she'd have to check and call me back.  She said there's a possibility that even though it says "decision made" she won't be able to tell what it is.  Sounds like bull to me, why would the admissions office not know?!  My guess is that she's going to go look and if I got in she'll tell me, but if not she won't.  Supposed to call me back...

bf3george

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 09:36:45 AM »
gsu won't give out squat over the phone....

when did you apply? i applied to gsu january 2 and still haven't heard.  their process is maddening.  my lsat is 167, grades jekyl & hyde-ish (1st undergrad degree around 2.5, 2nd a 3.86, 10 yrs work exp, etc), but still, can't they make up their friggin' mind?

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 09:53:01 AM »
Well, I know someone who got them to at least say the decision made was "good news" over the phone.  I'm trying to harass that out of them.  Otherwise I'll wait on the mail, it'll probably come today or tomorrow anyhow because I'm here in Atlanta.

They do take forever.  I've been complete for months.  Last year I didn't hear from them until the last week of May and I was rejected, so hoping that hearing sooner this year is maybe good news.