Law School Discussion

Yale sucks.

amelus

• View Profile
Re: Yale sucks.
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2004, 06:37:24 PM »
i've read boalt's specific policy, and it's high honors/honors/pass/barely pass/fail.  they have 60% pass, 30% honors, and 10% high honors.

where do you find a school's grading policy/curve pookie?  specifically i am wondering about col, nyu, penn, cornell, and g'town (schools i think you've applied to also, so maybe you know where to look?)

BigBadBo

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2004, 06:39:21 PM »
I would never fault anyone for going to Yale...

but... once again, I repeat -
Connecticut is a rancid state.  
Pretention is the law.
Quality of Life you go to Stanford...
Variety and Big Law you go to Harvard...
Prestige you go to Yale - but if you have other reasons for going there, I question your motives.

ass1

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2004, 06:44:34 PM »
Utah is going to chew Pittsburg up. Lucky for Cal, they don't have to face them.

ooh, yes, beating the #21 team is great.  no unbiased analyst questions that cal is better than utah in everything.

newy

• HLS 2008
    • View Profile
    • newy@lsn
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2004, 06:52:09 PM »
Here's my theory on the grading system, FWIW:

School X changes grading system from traditional ABCDF to "no-grades" system High Honors-Honors-Pass or whatever the names may be.  At first, employers don't know what to make of this cryptic grading system, but after a while they figure it out and start calculating some type of index number instead of a traditional GPA.   Then the school changes the system again, or decides not to compute GPA or rank, or something equally silly.  Employers can figure it out.

But, if you go to Yale, it doesn't really matter...you can probably have your pick of jobs, regardless of your all Pass report card.

!@#$%

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2004, 08:08:23 PM »
It was a cool monkey on my head.  I do have a basis for comparison as I've also been around uncool monkies that throw feces at you if you don't give them banans.  Fortunately, I got back in the van before the poo-throwing started.  The uncool monkies live around Angkor Wat (perhaps my next avatar....)

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2004, 08:16:26 PM »
Hey ass1, did you sweat out that game vs Oregon, or how about Southern Miss. As I recall we did not have one close game this season. I think Cal is a very good team, but I doubt they would chew up Utah.

BAFF213

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2004, 08:19:05 PM »
the only school im aware of that really doesn't have grades is northeastern - they give written evaluations.

* because yale doesn't have grades, the academic climate is much more supportive than films like "the paper chase" would lead applicants to envision.  you are competing only with yourself, not with your fellow students, in your courses.  this fosters congenial study groups, where you don't have to worry about whether your outlines will help someone else do better than you and keep you from earning that higher grade.

yale does have a grading system (honors, pass, low pass i believe), just not the traditional (a,b,c,d,f) grading system.  im not arguing against your point because i agree with you - im just clarifying.

right.  that's why i see it as competing with yourself.  if you really want to, you can try for the "honors" grade.  but that probably won't stop you from forming study groups where the entire group benefits, because that won't be to your detriment the way people feel it is in a strict grading curve system.

i've read boalt's specific policy, and it's high honors/honors/pass/barely pass/fail.  they have 60% pass, 30% honors, and 10% high honors.  i have yet to read yale's policy.  and until i have an acceptance letter in my hand, i'd rather not get my heart set on them too much.  and yet if i do get that letter, i will immediately turn down the offers i have right now.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2004, 09:32:50 PM »
i've read boalt's specific policy, and it's high honors/honors/pass/barely pass/fail.  they have 60% pass, 30% honors, and 10% high honors.

where do you find a school's grading policy/curve pookie?  specifically i am wondering about col, nyu, penn, cornell, and g'town (schools i think you've applied to also, so maybe you know where to look?)

i found boalt's under the student section of their website, under policies or something.

i poked around NYU's and columbia's websites, but i coudln't find the same info in any obvious place.  i'll start a new thread if i find the info for any other schools.  those are the only 3 websites i've checked.

dr_draino

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2004, 09:36:11 PM »
Northeastern also has pass, high-pass and fail from my understanding.

the only school im aware of that really doesn't have grades is northeastern - they give written evaluations.

* because yale doesn't have grades, the academic climate is much more supportive than films like "the paper chase" would lead applicants to envision.  you are competing only with yourself, not with your fellow students, in your courses.  this fosters congenial study groups, where you don't have to worry about whether your outlines will help someone else do better than you and keep you from earning that higher grade.

yale does have a grading system (honors, pass, low pass i believe), just not the traditional (a,b,c,d,f) grading system.  im not arguing against your point because i agree with you - im just clarifying.

right.  that's why i see it as competing with yourself.  if you really want to, you can try for the "honors" grade.  but that probably won't stop you from forming study groups where the entire group benefits, because that won't be to your detriment the way people feel it is in a strict grading curve system.

i've read boalt's specific policy, and it's high honors/honors/pass/barely pass/fail.  they have 60% pass, 30% honors, and 10% high honors.  i have yet to read yale's policy.  and until i have an acceptance letter in my hand, i'd rather not get my heart set on them too much.  and yet if i do get that letter, i will immediately turn down the offers i have right now.

burp

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2004, 09:41:59 PM »
This website has grading policies for a lot of schools. I don't remember how I found it...

http://www.bcgsearch.com/crc/book/intro.html