Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what would you do?  (Read 528 times)

twysted

• View Profile
what would you do?
« on: December 13, 2004, 01:40:45 PM »
Would you take out whatever loans necessary to go to a top 14 school (and this could be like 100%) or would you go to a low tier one to mid-tier two school on a scholarship or with a fair amount of money?

kaligrrl79

• AOL Instant Messenger - kaligrrl79
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 02:10:12 PM »
It would honestly depend on what school it is...e.g. what programs they offer, how bad do you really want to go etc. Would it really give you that much of an upper hand for employment going to the top 14? Also how much money would you save going to the lower tier school? But really, low T1 is not bad. I would pay 100% to go to that one! But that's me. If you truly want the big name and think that it would help you after graduation, then go. Suck up the loans...I'm sure you would make enough money to pay them off in 2 years. Good luck with your decision.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 02:27:38 PM »
Depends more on what you want to do, I think.  If you plan on going into public interest, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to take out $100K in loans.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

maximumtennis82

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 02:49:26 PM »
Everything I've read has said that unless you have specific ties to a certain area (i.e. know that you want to end up working in the southwest), you should go to a T14 as their degrees will allow you to find a job anywhere in the country.  But if you know that you'd like to be in NYC (for example), you should apply to an extensive list of schools within that city (NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Cardoza, etc.)...as regional advantage gives you lots of local job options when graduating from low T1 or T2s.

twysted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 02:52:40 PM »
Well, def. not public interest law for me so that won't be it. I just can't decide if in the end, my job/financial prospects wil make the shitload of debt worth it.

Thanks maxim..that's helpful, I'm not really tied to a particular area actually and I'd really like to have as many options as I can when I graduate in terms of location.

maximumtennis82

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 03:17:50 PM »
Twysted: One of the better books that I feel out there that actually gives you some guidance about picking which schools to apply to/attend is "How to Get into Law School" by Susan Estrich.  If you have a spare hour or so, stop by your local Borders and read the relevant chapters...it definitely helped me in my quest to sort out where I want to go!

twysted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 03:59:32 PM »
Thanks maxim...unfortunately I'm not in the states so there is no local Borders :), also as I'm not in the States there's very little literature to help me pursue a US education

maricutie

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 05:56:38 PM »
Heck -- take the t-14, without a doubt, especially if there are no ties to a specific geo location. Even then, you don't know if something is going to happen later on that will make you move. t-14 makes for better options.

If you do pub interest law, there are some schools that offer great forgiveness programs. Yale, of course, is one of them, as is Stanford and Boalt (i think). look them up for more info, but i think the t-14 is the better bet.

ClaudiaM85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 09:04:13 PM »
Take the loans and go to a premier program. You'll be able to pay it back after a few years.

best,
claudia
Law school is overrated

twysted

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 10:40:00 AM »
thank you all for the advice folks.