Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would you give up law school for...  (Read 250 times)

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
Would you give up law school for...
« on: December 13, 2004, 03:04:47 AM »
...the chance to go to grad school at Oxford or Cambridge? I was watching a James Bond movie when I thought of how cool it would be to go to Cambridge to get a PhD in genetics (my major). Do you think it would be easier to get into Cambridge than it would to get into, say Harvard? I'll probably still go to law school, but it is worth bouncing around ideas.

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

maximumtennis82

Re: Would you give up law school for...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 03:25:27 AM »
Getting into an Oxford/Cambridge grad program with only an undergraduate degree from a US school is incredibly difficult...most international students who undertake these programs already have a Masters in their field.  Why?  Because the OxBridge undergrad consists of studying one's major field exclusively...so, while I, as a philosophy/psych major from U of Michigan, have studied perhaps 3 full semesters of philosophy, 3 of psych, and 2 of 'other' (courses not related to either major) my equivalent student in England has had three straight years of intensive phil or psych.

However, it's not entirely impossible.  Had I wanted to go for my PhD Phil I could have been taken under a tutor I worked extensively with during my year abroad at Oxford...and my  best friend from my exchange program just started her PhD in History of Science at Oxford, fresh out of undergrad (she also befriended a professor there, a guy who is apparently in the very top of the field!).

If you weren't set on PhD programs, Oxford has a litany of one-year courses, similar to masters, in a variety of fields that aren't nearly as exclusive.  I remember meeting a few people who graduated from Y and H law schools and then went to Oxford to get a degree in International Relations/LLM kind of stuff.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 03:44:16 AM »
Getting into Oxbridge would be very difficult, but possible. If you want to pursue this path, your best bet would to be to apply to an Mphil (research masters) program in genetics. Depending on your success in the Mphil program, you may be able to continue into the PhD program. I know someone who is doing this right now (Masters/PhD in History of Science @ Cambridge, but he went to Cambridge UG). Getting in to such a program I believe would be more challenging than getting into Harvard.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 09:07:04 AM »
A program like what you mention could also be very helpful in law schools admissions, should you eventually choose law.