Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will you ever see it?  (Read 575 times)

Linzy628

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Will you ever see it?
« on: December 13, 2004, 02:53:54 AM »
My profs sent in my letters of rec...they didn't ask me if I wanted to read them, they just sent them in and i'm hoping they had wonderful things to say...

Will we ever get to see them? Like when we graduate from law school? That would be amazing if they kept them on file for us....
LSAC GPA 3.63, LSAT 158

dr_draino

Re: Will you ever see it?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 02:56:17 AM »
No.

but they do keep them on file.

but you never get to see them.

My profs sent in my letters of rec...they didn't ask me if I wanted to read them, they just sent them in and i'm hoping they had wonderful things to say...

Will we ever get to see them? Like when we graduate from law school? That would be amazing if they kept them on file for us....

GoingtoLS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 10:00:17 PM »
One of my recommenders sent the letter a few days after I asked him, so I have no idea what he said. I went to remind him about the letter a couple weeks later and he told me he sent it long ago. The other person basically told me what he wrote. I never asked, but he volunteered the info. I'm ok with never seeing the actual letters. I trust these two people.

txgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's like raaaiiiinnn on my wedding day....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 08:57:25 AM »
Did you waive your right to read it?  I think there's a section on the form where they ask you whether you want to waive the right to see it or not.  I'm not exactly sure what I did with mine-I have a problem of reading things carefully so I think I missed that part.  Anyway, my coworker ran her recommendation by me first before she sent it out, and my boss asked me if I wanted to read what she wrote but I declined, which I'm regretting now b/c I'd really like to know what she had to say about me;)
3.7/154, URM (maybe, maybe not), praying to the admissions god to be kind to me and let me in, damn it!

Oh, and I'm also slowly becoming a LSD addict, thanks.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 10:36:00 AM »
You have a "right" to see your LORs unless you waive that right.  I think that right comes from FOIA, but I'm not sure.  Supposedly, if you didn't waive that right, you can go to administration after you've been enrolled in a school and they have to show you a copy.  Unfortunately, LSAC requires you to waive it if you use their service and most schools "strongly encourage" it.  If you don't waive, the Adcomm puts less stock in the LOR since they assume you reviewed it first before submission.

You can try asking your recommender for a copy, but I've known some to be offended by the question and a few that will refuse to write one if you insist on seeing it first.  Some professors will provide you a copy of the LOR, even without you asking, but that seems pretty rare.  The best thing you can do is "coach" your recommender.  Montauk's "How To Get Into A Top Law School" has a great section on this. 
Fed gov't atty