Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A Coward With A Potty Mouth  (Read 3609 times)

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: A Coward With A Potty Mouth
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 08:52:42 AM »
I agree that the private message was very inappropriate, but the best response to this type of thing is not to let it bother you.  You can't fight people that send messages like that.  They'll just find another computer and hit you again.  If the damage was really severe (ie lots and lots of negative posts diluting the board) I could take some action.  Think of it like someone yelling at you from a passing car.  It's certainly bothersome, but chasing them with a baseball bat is only going to make the situation worse.

You're all right about IP addresses.  Yes, I can do a reverse lookup and see who people are, provided that they have a static IP (and this person does).  At the same time, so many ISPs these days assign a new IP with each connection so banning an IP might (a) not be effective and (b) might have the counter-effect of banning the innocent unlucky user.

4LawSchool

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 11:31:34 PM »
I hope it isn't all from that bull over at 4lawschool. 

I was just doing a Google search to see how many sites have linked to 4lawschool.com and I came across this post.  Well Zpops, you have no right to call my site or its visitors "bull".  Unless you have clear facts to support your contention, you should not be making such statements.  If you don't learn this now, I am sure you will learn it soon in a law school essay exam.

Other than that, Andrew great site!  Keep up the good work!

-Vik

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 12:03:14 AM »
I was just doing a Google search to see how many sites have linked to 4lawschool.com and I came across this post.  Well Zpops, you have no right to call my site or its visitors "bull".  Unless you have clear facts to support your contention, you should not be making such statements.  If you don't learn this now, I am sure you will learn it soon in a law school essay exam.

Other than that, Andrew great site!  Keep up the good work!

-Vik

You took that out of context.  By "that bull" I was referring to a specific incident on your message boards which was not even caused by a real poster on your site.  It was an immature coward who did not have the guts to confront me with his grievances on this board, so he registered on your site specifically to flame me on your forums, under the cover of anonymity.  My point was merely that I hoped the recent flood of joke accounts on this forum was not due to the immature behavior of this poster in my thread on your forum.  Honestly, I think you have a nice site, with lots of useful information and resources.  I hope you'll read this reply, since I really was not saying anything bad about your site, and I do not desire any more silly misunderstandings.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.