Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If I Reapply to a school, am I at a disadvantage?  (Read 5794 times)

thechoson

If I Reapply to a school, am I at a disadvantage?
« on: April 19, 2004, 09:13:17 PM »
The way things are looking for me, I might actually take a year off and just reapply next year.  Would applying to the same schools over again (when you already told them no once) be a disadvantage?
Thanks

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
Re: If I Reapply to a school, am I at a disadvantage?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 10:04:18 PM »
I think you should lay off the crack and go to law school.  What's the logic behind waiting a year?  Where are you going to reapply?  Please repost your current numbers so we can all get a handle on the schools you want to try again.  Heck...post your decisions for this year again as well....Let me take off my jacket, it's going to be a long night :-)

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 10:15:21 PM »
I don't think reapplying would hurt you if you gave them a good reason for turning them down.  I think it would definitely be acceptable to tell them you're going to reapply next year because you want to take a year off to work. 

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 10:19:52 PM »
YES Speakerdave, I can count on you to give me advice.  Well, here goes.  3.28 (3.22 at time of apps)/ 165 poli sci major from UCLA
IN: USD, McGeorge (w/ money, withdrawn), Cal Western ($, withdrawn), Whittier (Withdrawn, $), ASU, UNLV (w/ $), Chapman (withdrawn), Temple ($)

Pending: Loyola (not really counting on it, cause idiot me applied two weeks ago!), Santa Clara, Thomas Jefferson (wouldn't go), Minnesota, U San Francisco

Anyways, I guess the desire to wait would be so I can apply to the higher rung of Cali Schools (UC Hastings and Davis).  That highest rung (Boalt, Stanford, USC, UCLA) I have no shot at, but I might have a shot at the other UCs, who knows.  The other school I'd hope for is Loyola, by applying early.  But otherwise, the good Cali school is USD, and I got in there.  So maybe it would be a bit risky to apply next year, cause UC Davis an d Hastings would be iffy with my numbers.

I am just frustrated cause USD didn't give me any money, and I was really hoping they would!  People with my numbers have gotten good money from Loyola, but this late in the game I doubt I'll get anything, much less an acceptance.  Thus I am quite frustrated.

thechoson

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 10:20:18 PM »
I don't think reapplying would hurt you if you gave them a good reason for turning them down.  I think it would definitely be acceptable to tell them you're going to reapply next year because you want to take a year off to work. 
Thanks little old lady!

hookem law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 10:30:44 PM »
I took a year off and spent it as a ski bum with a part time job in Telluride.  It is the best thing I have ever experienced.  If you take a year off, do something like that.  Of course my year off was dictated not by not getting in where I wanted to, but by a miserable LSAT score that I rectified in December.

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 11:46:22 PM »
I'm 31 yrs old, and I couldn't possibly put law school off any longer.

I assume you are 21/22 yrs old of younger...If you are even 23, then certainly you can take a year off.  But, if I had it to do over again, I would have gone right into law school instead of telling myself I was just going to take a a couple years off.

Here are some things to consider:
1) Many people never go back when they take time off.  It's difficult to motivate yourself back into academia.
2) You are in at some very good schools.  Your numbers aren't good enough to ensure you will get into the higher ranked UC schools you listed.  So, you may end up right back where you started.  Loyola is your best shot if you apply early. But, dude, USD is the Loyola of San Diego...if not better.
3) Consider a transfer after 1L at USD.  A good performance at USD
4) Perhaps your accepted schools will let you defer until next year - there may some conditions, etc.
5) Most lawyers carry debt after graduation.  That's okay.  The average debt is something like 80K -- You will pay it off.   ilrg.com says the median salary for USD was 76,250 (princeton review says 75,100)(this is 2002 data. You are class of '07 -- the number goes up over time).  Even if you are only making 75000 your first year, you can service the debt load at USD. 
6) Obviously budget is VERY important to you...so go to the best school that is giving you the most money.  But, you will have to sacrifice So. Cal employment opps unless you work extremely hard to find them on your own. Those firms aren't coming into the desert to find you.

Well...

Next step is for you to set a deadlind for yourself.  How about Wednesday at noon.  You decide, and post it here for all of us to see?

nighty-night.

thechoson

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 11:52:07 PM »
Wednesday at midnight, hmm... yea.. sure... hehehe, thanks for the advice speakerdave!

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 12:45:17 AM »
Only making $75,000?  I'd be thrilled beyond belief to make $75K and I have average grades at a top 20 school.  I just saw a posting at the Chicago Law Bulletin sight for a 6 year associate.  It said salary would go up to $85,000.  Realistically (unless the economy goes into overdrive- not likely) he's looking at making $50K or so a year.  Maybe even lower.

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 12:51:32 AM »
Why only 50k?