Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: He thought I was a racist!  (Read 6721 times)

angelus

Re: He thought I was a racist!
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 04:56:44 PM »
I didn't know you were kidding....but it did give me a chance to practice my legalese. ;D

Geez, I don't think he's racist either, I was kidding.

HURLEY- L.S.D.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2005, 04:17:46 AM »
Perhaps you are just racist against me? ;)

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2005, 04:47:30 AM »
Which is more likely?

A group of Asian teen males in a car that drives by a white man, and they shout "Hey Cracker."

A group of white teen males in a car that drives by a minority, and they shout "epithet of the month."

I'm not saying that minorities cannot be racist. In fact some of the most openly racist people I have know were minorities talking about whites and other minority groups.

But most minorities face racist action from white people. Most of my caucasians friends have even told me that they don't really think about race that much until it comes up. But I can tell you that most minorities think about racial issues constantly.

So Hurley, no I do not think you were racist in that situation. You probably didn't even consider race. But I'll bet you the black guy, getting blown off by the white guy will think of race everytime.

Some wounds have cut too deep too often.
The safest thing is assume all people (white, black, whatever) harbor racist thoughts until continually proven otherwise.
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2005, 05:28:02 AM »
All these people calling people racist reminds me of a friend I have who thinks he's black (technically, or legally I should say, he is, but he doesn't look like it and almost all his friends are white)... except he's kidding.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2005, 08:58:10 AM »
Which is more likely?

A group of Asian teen males in a car that drives by a white man, and they shout "Hey Cracker."

A group of white teen males in a car that drives by a minority, and they shout "epithet of the month."

I'm not saying that minorities cannot be racist. In fact some of the most openly racist people I have know were minorities talking about whites and other minority groups.

But most minorities face racist action a from white people. Most of my caucasians friends have even told me that they don't really think about race that much until it comes up. Bu tIO can tell you that most minorities think about racial issues constantly.

So Hurley, no I do not think you were racist in that situation. You probably didn't even consider race. But I'll bet you the black guy, getting blown off by the white guy will think of race everytime.

Some wounds have cut too deep too often.
The safest thing is assume all people (white, black, whatever) harbor racist thoughts until continually proven otherwise.

This was a really interesting post.   I agree with much of it: my boyfriend and I argue sometimes about AA.  I am against it (although I would be in favor of AA for economically disadvantaged students), because I can never believe that discriminating solely on the basis of skin color, for whatever purpose, is good for individuals or good for society.  My boyfriend, who supports AA, argued once that he believes that many people who are against AA are simply racist.  This may sound very naive, but I had never given that possility serious consideration.  As you point out, I don't consider racism very often; the possibility that many of the people who agree with my viewpoint about AA could be agreeing with me for the very reasons I am so deadset against it (discrimination based on skin color)...startled and disturbed me.  I had thought that certainly a few people might be, but a lot?  I hope not.  

Still, I cannot agree with your last statement.  This could simply be because I am white, but I don't think so.  To approach other people expecting hatred and intolerance is to live a caged life.  I would instead say the very opposite: approach all people with openness.  Be kind to everyone you meet.  Expect that they are decent human beings, because that is the decent thing to do.    Just my opinion :)
HLS

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2005, 03:34:56 AM »
Dolcejn,

I think it is awesome that you disagree with the last part of my post. I wish I could disagree with it as well. It would be a better, more decent world if this were the case. We should be able to approach people with open arms, kindness, respect, dignity, and forgiveness. But how often in the real world do you see people living according to these virtues? How often do you hear about the horrid acts people do to each other? It is far too easy to believe the worst of people because we are given constant evidence to attest to that. The good in people is hidden and does not get discovered unless you look.

Wasn't it Julius Caesar "The evil that men do lives on after their deaths, whereas the good men do follows them to their grave." ...something like that.

We are going into law. I fully expect to hear more about the dark side of life. I fully expect to see the varied strengths and limitations of our system. A system that, in the past, allowed the organized, and completely legal discrimination, exploitation, and supression of minorities.

Modern American caucasians can easily say, "Well I didn't pass those laws. I didn't vote them into effect. Why am I considered guilty for the sins of my fathers? Why am I being tried for a past that I had nothing to do with, and do not support?"

I feel you. Trust me. It sucks both ways. But would you rather be the hammer or the nail?

Yes...Hatred, vegeance, ignorance, spite, envy, and the whole inventory of Pandora's Box makes life hard.

Yes, being suspicious of people makes for a life that is far less then what it could be.

When you find people that truly harbor no racist thoughts, that only look for the good in man, that treat others fairly without regard for race, ethnicity, sexual preference, religion, and socio-economic class guard them and cherish them.

The other kind, and their name is legion, we will encounter everyday for the rest of our lives. 
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2005, 05:44:47 PM »
Stroopwafel, what a great post.  Forget law school and become a writer.  :)
HLS

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2005, 07:14:24 PM »
Stroopwafel, yeah good post. 

Don't forget about lawschool though, we need as many people with your type of clarity as possible.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2005, 07:38:12 PM »
Having an open mind is the most rewarding quality a person can have in life. The ability to see each situation, each person, each question in its own light and on its own merit will prove invaluable. Very few have the ability to do this, but unfortunately even fewer think it's the right way to go about life.

Most people think you should make up your mind and then stick to your decision because they inflate the value of the "principled life". Now, I'm all for principle. I'm all for values. What most people miss is the fact that general rules must be applied according to each situation appropriately. Otherwise, the principles lose all value.

So, refuse to let yourself fall into the trap of having your mind set in stone.

My .02--stepping down off the soapbox

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2005, 02:11:10 AM »
Having an open mind is the most rewarding quality a person can have in life. The ability to see each situation, each person, each question in its own light and on its own merit will prove invaluable. Very few have the ability to do this, but unfortunately even fewer think it's the right way to go about life.

Most people think you should make up your mind and then stick to your decision because they inflate the value of the "principled life". Now, I'm all for principle. I'm all for values. What most people miss is the fact that general rules must be applied according to each situation appropriately. Otherwise, the principles lose all value.

So, refuse to let yourself fall into the trap of having your mind set in stone.

My .02--stepping down off the soapbox

Man, i could think of a few people that would benefit from your take on this, but that would probably mess up this otherwise interesting thread.  So I'll just say, "Good post!"
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006