Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: He thought I was a racist!  (Read 6562 times)

twarga

Re: He thought I was a racist!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2005, 07:10:12 PM »
When I was in undergrad in DC, I worked at an entertainment law firm.  I had to bring lots of files to the FCC on M Street every day for stamping/filing.  One day, as I was on my way with a big ol' stack of files in my arms, a well-dressed black man spat in my face as he passed by me.  I dropped my files and just started crying right there on the sidewalk.  Was he racist?  A misogynist?  Just plain crazy?  Who knows?  What I do know is that this encounter bothered me much more than two more serious encounters I had with homeless men (a white homeless man kissed me on the Metro and chased me home, and a black homeless man followed me down 19th Street, grabbing my *ss and making disgusting remarks).  Go figure.

DOWNY

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2005, 10:15:31 PM »
When I was in undergrad in DC, I worked at an entertainment law firm.  I had to bring lots of files to the FCC on M Street every day for stamping/filing.  One day, as I was on my way with a big ol' stack of files in my arms, a well-dressed black man spat in my face as he passed by me.  I dropped my files and just started crying right there on the sidewalk.  Was he racist?  A misogynist?  Just plain crazy?  Who knows?  What I do know is that this encounter bothered me much more than two more serious encounters I had with homeless men (a white homeless man kissed me on the Metro and chased me home, and a black homeless man followed me down 19th Street, grabbing my *ss and making disgusting remarks).  Go figure.

That is ridiculous. Why did these people zero in on you?

If some @#!* spit in my face for no reason I would kick him in the balls as hard as possible before gouging out his eyes with my thumb.

ndbisme

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2005, 10:22:57 PM »

That is ridiculous. Why did these people zero in on you?

If some @#!* spit in my face for no reason I would kick him in the balls as hard as possible before gouging out his eyes with my thumb.

W...T...F?!  I would have rained down Judah punches on his face till my knuckles broke down on me or the security personel dragged me away from his corpse.  I can't believe you didn't do anything... Next time this happens, just slap him, at the bare minimum.  Or kick im in the nuts.  Judah doesn't take and has never taken *&^% from anyone.  I still can't comprehend this.  I don't care if he's black or whatever, I would have screwed him up regardless.  Judah's an equal opportunity fucker-upper (assaulter or whatever).

maricutie

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2005, 01:59:09 PM »

wow ... I am so, so sorry that this happened to you.  :'(

twarga

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2005, 02:03:49 PM »
Well, in my defense... since I am now a military mama and would kick anyone's *ss who came near me or my babies... I was only 19.  I had an armful of files.  The FCC closes their window at 5, and it was like 4:55 (made it to the FCC in tears).  As for the homeless dudes, I did run like h*ll.  I was fast, even then.   ;)  I'm pretty much over it now, but thinking about the spitting guy still rattles me.  He looked so normal.

official2008

• Sr. Citizen
  • London Jazz Cafe
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - official2007
    • View Profile
    • LSN PROFILE
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2005, 02:15:24 PM »
Ok, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on this..

Every weekend or so I like to walk over to the local video store and rent a movie.  I don't live in a very affluent area, so there are usually at least two homeless people over there in front of the store, and there are always people in the parking lot selling things.

So, this past friday I went over there with my girl, and she was a couple steps in front of me.  This guy starts walking toward her and he says "Hey!  I want to ask you somethin'"

I immediately turn to the guy, he sees me, and I just frankly (and politely) tell him "NO, we are not interested."  He was a cleanly-dressed, african american guy in his 30's.

Then, the guy tells me "You think that just because I look like a homeless person means that I am asking your for money!" 

I said, "No, sir, it is just that whenever I come here there are always people out here approaching me for money or trying to sell me something." 

He says, "Whatever man, you just think that because I'm black I am automatically trying to sell you something.  You're making up all of this stuff up about homeless people out here."

At that point, a homeless guy (an old white man) comes up to us and asks us for money.  The man who had just finished berating me becomes visibly embarrassed and says, "Whatever man, I was just wondering how to get to the Main Street."  My girl and I immediately pointed him in the correct direction, but he just walked off.

I was really bothered by the fact that he thought I was a racist.  I mean, it didn't even register to me that he was an african american and therefore selling me something.  In fact, there are never any african americans out there asking for money.  The people are either latino or white (mostly).  If someone approaches me in that parking lot and doesn't immediately say "I need directions", but instead, "Hey!  I want to ask you something", then I'm going to register that they want money.

I never carry money over there anyway because I have a debit card with my picture on it and it is much easier to pay and show my ID that way.

Why did this guy think that I was a racist?  What if I were black and told him the same thing?  Just because I am white, am I automatically a racist because I refused to acknowledge him?  I'm just wondering how and why a person would think that way about me. 

Everyone faces rejection, but if someone told me when I was young that the reason I face rejection is because of the color of my skin the I wonder how I would look at life from that point on.  As I faced the same sort of rejection that others faced, but interpreted it differently as race-based rejection, then I think that I might begin to live a very angry and pessimistic life.  I began to think that common rejection being interpreted as racist can be a very dangerous perspective since it will inevitably lead to a perpetuation on the part of URMs that racism is still alive and well when in fact it could very well be dying away. 

question: what did you do to the white, homeless guy who asked you for money? and if you were "not interested," why did you give directions? it seems like you just wanted to get your movie and leave without talking to anyone, right? so why give him directions in the end? did you feel guilty?

and as far as living a pessimistic life, believing that all rejection is race-based is not necessarily how it happens. i assume what you're alluding to is that black people's accusations that they are being discriminated against is unwarranted. but i would like to remind you of all of the statistical evidence that black are disproportionately rejected.

Give is us free!

angelus

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2005, 01:17:37 PM »
I've run into this too. The mexicans, and blacks up here call you racist if you don't give them money. The hippie wannabees, trust fund homeless, eco freaks call you Republican and privileged if you don't give them money. Yeah, I dress nicely but i'm still a paycheck from being homeless myself and will NOT give some hippie $1 so he can add it to his money for booze account.

Al

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2005, 01:45:29 PM »
Why did you dig up this thread?

Also, the OP is clearly racist.  No question.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

angelus

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2005, 03:20:33 PM »
Why did you dig up this thread?

because this is a discussion forum. Are we not to discuss? Or is it certain issues we're not to discuss?

Also, the OP is clearly racist.  No question.

Based on evidence of this case your opinion is groundless. He did not react to the man's color but to the fact that a total stranger walked up to him. His reaction was clear proof of conditioning due to several other occurences in which a stranger approached him at that location only to ask for money. Thus his first reaction to any stranger approaching him would be backed up by the immediate thought of "this person wants money".

The man is not racist. Case closed. The Honorable Angelus Presiding.

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2005, 04:03:36 PM »
Geez, I don't think he's racist either, I was kidding.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law