Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: He thought I was a racist!  (Read 6704 times)

Re: He thought I was a racist!
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2005, 01:08:59 PM »
I live in a relatively affluent suburb of NYC.  There is a black part of town, they call it "da hood".  White folks aren't welcome  there.  I've been jumped for walking through the wrong street, they've been jumped for coming down my block.  De facto segregation is sad. 

Haha, I know this isn't funny, but this just reminded me of the scene in "Bronx Tale".

I love that movie.  It is like that here.  85% italian.  lots of racism

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2005, 02:48:08 PM »
I live in a relatively affluent suburb of NYC.  There is a black part of town, they call it "da hood".  White folks aren't welcome  there.  I've been jumped for walking through the wrong street, they've been jumped for coming down my block.  De facto segregation is sad. 

Haha, I know this isn't funny, but this just reminded me of the scene in "Bronx Tale".

I love that movie.  It is like that here.  85% italian.  lots of racism

I love that movie too.  It's crazy that the movie was set in a period so long ago, but the same things are happening still...  :-\
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2005, 11:02:12 AM »
No, you are not racist.
Seriously, I hate you because of YOU, not because your skin, can't anybody unerstand this?

BuckFush

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2005, 03:00:40 AM »
Ok, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on this..

Every weekend or so I like to walk over to the local video store and rent a movie.  I don't live in a very affluent area, so there are usually at least two homeless people over there in front of the store, and there are always people in the parking lot selling things.

So, this past friday I went over there with my girl, and she was a couple steps in front of me.  This guy starts walking toward her and he says "Hey!  I want to ask you somethin'"

I immediately turn to the guy, he sees me, and I just frankly (and politely) tell him "NO, we are not interested."  He was a cleanly-dressed, african american guy in his 30's.

Then, the guy tells me "You think that just because I look like a homeless person means that I am asking your for money!" 

I said, "No, sir, it is just that whenever I come here there are always people out here approaching me for money or trying to sell me something." 

He says, "Whatever man, you just think that because I'm black I am automatically trying to sell you something.  You're making up all of this stuff up about homeless people out here."

At that point, a homeless guy (an old white man) comes up to us and asks us for money.  The man who had just finished berating me becomes visibly embarrassed and says, "Whatever man, I was just wondering how to get to the Main Street."  My girl and I immediately pointed him in the correct direction, but he just walked off.

I was really bothered by the fact that he thought I was a racist.  I mean, it didn't even register to me that he was an african american and therefore selling me something.  In fact, there are never any african americans out there asking for money.  The people are either latino or white (mostly).  If someone approaches me in that parking lot and doesn't immediately say "I need directions", but instead, "Hey!  I want to ask you something", then I'm going to register that they want money.

I never carry money over there anyway because I have a debit card with my picture on it and it is much easier to pay and show my ID that way.

Why did this guy think that I was a racist?  What if I were black and told him the same thing?  Just because I am white, am I automatically a racist because I refused to acknowledge him?  I'm just wondering how and why a person would think that way about me. 

Everyone faces rejection, but if someone told me when I was young that the reason I face rejection is because of the color of my skin the I wonder how I would look at life from that point on.  As I faced the same sort of rejection that others faced, but interpreted it differently as race-based rejection, then I think that I might begin to live a very angry and pessimistic life.  I began to think that common rejection being interpreted as racist can be a very dangerous perspective since it will inevitably lead to a perpetuation on the part of URMs that racism is still alive and well when in fact it could very well be dying away. 

You are a racist because you said "No!" rather than shutting your mouth and waiting until this well-dressed man asked his question.  You did assume that he was going to ask for money.  You subconsciously decided that this well dress man was about to ask you for money because he was black.  If he had been a well dress white man, you would not have rushed to judgment.  You're a racist...go get help.

Black people are experts in reading people and determining who is a racist and who isn't.  They've had a lot of practice each day of their lives for generations.

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2005, 07:04:18 PM »

Every weekend or so I like to walk over to the local video store and rent a movie.  I don't live in a very affluent area, so there are usually at least two homeless people over there in front of the store, and there are always people in the parking lot selling things.

So, this past friday I went over there with my girl, and she was a couple steps in front of me.  This guy starts walking toward her and he says "Hey!  I want to ask you somethin'"

I immediately turn to the guy, he sees me, and I just frankly (and politely) tell him "NO, we are not interested."  He was a cleanly-dressed, african american guy in his 30's.

Then, the guy tells me "You think that just because I look like a homeless person means that I am asking your for money!" 

I said, "No, sir, it is just that whenever I come here there are always people out here approaching me for money or trying to sell me something." 

He says, "Whatever man, you just think that because I'm black I am automatically trying to sell you something.  You're making up all of this stuff up about homeless people out here."

At that point, a homeless guy (an old white man) comes up to us and asks us for money.  The man who had just finished berating me becomes visibly embarrassed and says, "Whatever man, I was just wondering how to get to the Main Street."  My girl and I immediately pointed him in the correct direction, but he just walked off.

I was really bothered by the fact that he thought I was a racist.  I mean, it didn't even register to me that he was an african american and therefore selling me something.  In fact, there are never any african americans out there asking for money.  The people are either latino or white (mostly).  If someone approaches me in that parking lot and doesn't immediately say "I need directions", but instead, "Hey!  I want to ask you something", then I'm going to register that they want money.

I never carry money over there anyway because I have a debit card with my picture on it and it is much easier to pay and show my ID that way.

Why did this guy think that I was a racist?  What if I were black and told him the same thing?  Just because I am white, am I automatically a racist because I refused to acknowledge him?  I'm just wondering how and why a person would think that way about me. 

Everyone faces rejection, but if someone told me when I was young that the reason I face rejection is because of the color of my skin the I wonder how I would look at life from that point on.  As I faced the same sort of rejection that others faced, but interpreted it differently as race-based rejection, then I think that I might begin to live a very angry and pessimistic life.  I began to think that common rejection being interpreted as racist can be a very dangerous perspective since it will inevitably lead to a perpetuation on the part of URMs that racism is still alive and well when in fact it could very well be dying away. 

You are a racist because you said "No!" rather than shutting your mouth and waiting until this well-dressed man asked his question.  You did assume that he was going to ask for money.  You subconsciously decided that this well dress man was about to ask you for money because he was black.  If he had been a well dress white man, you would not have rushed to judgment.  You're a racist...go get help.

Black people are experts in reading people and determining who is a racist and who isn't.  They've had a lot of practice each day of their lives for generations.

Well wait just a second, man.  The subconscious is a very complicated thing, for all we know he assumed that he'd be hit up for money because he associates that area with beggars.  Which makes just as much sense as him doing so because the fellow was black, if not more sense.  The fact that racism is a serious accusation in this day and age is a good thing - but I think we should be careful where we use it, lest we are struck with the 'Boy Who Cried Wolf' syndrome and real accounts of racism start to be dismissed as continued 'racistphobia', if that made up word makes any sense.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2005, 07:31:06 PM »

Okay, well let me tell you my story and you tell me who is racist in this instance. 

My fiance and I were driving to the mailbox the other day when a car started following us like crazy and honking.  Apparently, my SO had pulled out in front of the car on accident (we were in a neighborhood so the car should not have been going very fast anyway).  He had not realized that a car was coming because a bunch of trees had blocked his view.  So the car follows us to the mailbox (we have community mailboxes) honking the whole way.  I get out of the car to go get the mail, thinking that the crazed motorist will continue on his/her way after having blown off a little steam.  But no, the crazed motorist, a black woman, gets out of the car and starts screaming at me as I am walking to the mailbox: "You stupid little honky female dog!  Are you high??? DO you always pull out in front of people?"  I ignore her (and I say NOTHING) and she preceeds to get in my face and tell me that she is going to bash my face in and kill me.  That is right KILL me! And then she realeases another tirade of racist comments about white people.  By this time, my fiance gets out of the car and says, "Maam, I am very sorry that I pulled out in front of you, but please don't yell at her, yell at me. I was the one driving. She had nothing to do with it."  Then the lady threatens to kill him and unleashes another tirade of racist language.  Then she goes and gets back in her car and rams into the back of my car!!!  By this time, my fiance and I are scared because NOTHING like this has ever happened to us before.  SO we go get in our car to drive off and the lady continues to follow us home.  We were scared to go home (for fear that she would know where we live and might retalliate) so we parked at a nearby fire station and called the cops. 

So who is the racist here?  Did we somehow "sense" that a black woman was speeding down our street and decide to pull out in front of her because we hate black people?  I think not!  Through out the entire process it never even occured to me that she was black until she started calling me a honky and a cracker. Even after this horrible situation I would never blame her race for her actions.  I just think she was crazy.  But yet the first thing out of her mouth were racist comments!
Attending: Texas

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2005, 09:06:55 PM »

Okay, well let me tell you my story and you tell me who is racist in this instance. 

My fiance and I were driving to the mailbox the other day when a car started following us like crazy and honking.  Apparently, my SO had pulled out in front of the car on accident (we were in a neighborhood so the car should not have been going very fast anyway).  He had not realized that a car was coming because a bunch of trees had blocked his view.  So the car follows us to the mailbox (we have community mailboxes) honking the whole way.  I get out of the car to go get the mail, thinking that the crazed motorist will continue on his/her way after having blown off a little steam.  But no, the crazed motorist, a black woman, gets out of the car and starts screaming at me as I am walking to the mailbox: "You stupid little honky female dog!  Are you high??? DO you always pull out in front of people?"  I ignore her (and I say NOTHING) and she preceeds to get in my face and tell me that she is going to bash my face in and kill me.  That is right KILL me! And then she realeases another tirade of racist comments about white people.  By this time, my fiance gets out of the car and says, "Maam, I am very sorry that I pulled out in front of you, but please don't yell at her, yell at me. I was the one driving. She had nothing to do with it."  Then the lady threatens to kill him and unleashes another tirade of racist language.  Then she goes and gets back in her car and rams into the back of my car!!!  By this time, my fiance and I are scared because NOTHING like this has ever happened to us before.  SO we go get in our car to drive off and the lady continues to follow us home.  We were scared to go home (for fear that she would know where we live and might retalliate) so we parked at a nearby fire station and called the cops. 

So who is the racist here?  Did we somehow "sense" that a black woman was speeding down our street and decide to pull out in front of her because we hate black people?  I think not!  Through out the entire process it never even occured to me that she was black until she started calling me a honky and a cracker. Even after this horrible situation I would never blame her race for her actions.  I just think she was crazy.  But yet the first thing out of her mouth were racist comments!

Obviously the one saying racist things was the racist.  I wonder if there are people who'd say otherwise...I guess I'll wait and watch.