Law School Discussion

To score or not...

M2

To score or not...
« on: April 19, 2004, 05:21:35 PM »
I am really torn about whether I should even bother scoring my LSATs...its really stressing me out.
Each point fluctuation feels like a huge letdown or a boost...its leaving me all off kilter.

Has anyone here tried takign the tests under normal conditions but without scoring them?

I also wonder if it might be a good idea to take a few tests untimed...

M2

jgruber

Re: To score or not...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 06:30:56 PM »
Time them, score them, study hard.  You need to be able to deal with the stress and this is your practice.  No offense, but if you can't handle the stress of practice tests, law school will be more than you can handle.

M2

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 06:45:19 PM »
I wasn't saying the test stressed me out....

Its the scores that I get after im done grading them...if that makes sense.

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 07:03:34 PM »
M2,  i started out scoring every test.  yeah, it wore me down.  when i would do very well i would just obsess about doing that well on test day and when i did not do so hot i would just beat myself up over it.

i decided to not score my tests until i begin working on the most recent 14, which i am planning on scoring, as by that time, i will have only 6 weeks left to the test.  you may notice you will feel better if you dont score yourself, i know i did.  but its getting so close to crunchtime, you may want to just keep at it, while staying mindful that you wont always have the highest level of concentration when you are doing the same thing day in day out and it doesnt count for anything other then preperation.

as for timing, i think it is worthwhile.  being able to manage the 35 minute increments requires the skill of passing up an LR question if you are stumped, not devoting too much time to an RC question, and being able to skip questions and or a whole game if necessary on the games section. i also think having a lot of experience with timed sections will payoff on testday by alleviating pressure.

that said, definitely go back and revisit questions you couldnt devote enough time to after the time has expired.  this way, you get the benefits of both timed and untimed practice.

it sounds like you have trouble with games.  i definitely can relate.  i am still waiting for the magic bullet for games, i have yet to find it.  i generally do pretty well on them now overall, but i will still go out and blow a section from time to time which just completely baffles me..  i perform very consistently on the other sections and hope i can gain that kind of consistency with the games.  just recently i have done as well as only 2 wrong on games to as bad as 11 wrong.  it doesnt instill a lot of confidence in me with that type of variance. 

and JGRUBER your comparison of law school and the LSAT is not a good one.  the experience of constantly scoring yourself on the LSAT would be like getting your final grades in law school every few days, some days getting As, others Cs, maybe a few Ds and Fs.  Lets also make the distinction that the LSAT is not a test of knowledge.  it is a test of skill and performance. 

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 07:54:42 PM »
and JGRUBER your comparison of law school and the LSAT is not a good one.  the experience of constantly scoring yourself on the LSAT would be like getting your final grades in law school every few days, some days getting As, others Cs, maybe a few Ds and Fs.  Lets also make the distinction that the LSAT is not a test of knowledge.  it is a test of skill and performance. 

It was a general comparison of two stressful situations, not a comparison of two sources of stress.  The comparison is valid to that extent.

M2

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 09:43:43 PM »
The reason the games frustrate me so much is because i do almost  perfectly on every other section but then i will only get like 8 (yes 8) questions in the LG section right.

I think i may stop studying for the other sectiosn and just go with the games.

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 08:10:34 AM »
it sounds like you and i have the same problem with consistency on these.  doesnt that raise the question of the games section being an accurate measure of ability?  SHouldnt the same test taker perform relatively consistently on these (or at least within the scaling accomodation)?

A variance of 4 or maybe 5 questions would seem reasonable to me, but i have had a variance of 9 questions.  if i am not the only one who experiences this then there is something flawed with these.  with LR and RC, i perform within a range of 4 questions everytime.

mrserious67502

• 167/3.83 "The Dude abides"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 10:16:20 AM »
Hey M2,

Not sure how long you have been studying but since I started, my Games score has seen the biggest boost. It took a while but hang in there. There are a lot of easy points on the games section if you can just train your mind.

Now the LR sections, I am still waiting for that skill to just click. Sadly, I know that it won't.

Another suggestion... I time my tests and then score them to find out how I did. Then I leave the test for half a day or maybe a day.  I come back to it and go through each section again without looking at the correct answers.  I examine each of my answers and try to figure out if I missed the question. This is a pretty lengthy process but after reviewing each question I then match up the answer key to my revised answers.  I feel that this helps me get more bang for my buck than just a practice test. Plus, I am forced to review even the ones that I am pretty sure that I got right.

Good luck!

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 11:45:45 AM »
The reason the games frustrate me so much is because i do almost  perfectly on every other section but then i will only get like 8 (yes 8) questions in the LG section right.

Getting just 8 is not surprising and concentrating on the games part might not be a bad idea.  Has someone suggested the games 'bible' yet?

M2

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 12:45:10 PM »

Getting just 8 is not surprising and concentrating on the games part might not be a bad idea.  Has someone suggested the games 'bible' yet?

yes I just picked up it. and im about half way through it..it does seem to help... I got a raw score of 12 (my highest yet) today..so we will see how the tests i nteh coming weeks ago.

I knwo I am worrying/thinking about all this too much

thanks for the advice everyone