Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BLS vs Hofstra ($$)  (Read 1193 times)

mrsocko523

• View Profile
    • Email
BLS vs Hofstra ($$)
« on: April 19, 2004, 06:07:55 PM »
I was just accepted to Brooklyn law school and now face a bit of a decision.  Should I go to the higher ranked school or go to the lower ranked school that is offering me money?  Will my post-law school options be significantly higher if i attend brooklyn rather than hofstra? 

any help is appreciated

Frank

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BLS vs Hofstra ($$)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 06:29:37 PM »
Brooklyn is the better school but I don't think it's worth $30K in tuition.  You will need to rank pretty high in your class to do that much better from Brooklyn than Hofstra.  And Brooklyn is a very competitive school so the odds are against doing well there.  Big firms do not go very deep in the Brooklyn class.  I have friends at Brooklyn, some of whom were ranked in the top 15% who were unable to get into biglaw.  I know of someone ranked in the top 11% who only got one offer.  Plus it is hard to get on a journal at Brooklyn.  Brooklyn's a huge school but only has three journals, the same number as lots of smaller schools.  My friends did not make it onto a journal and they were ranked around the top 15%. 

scolomon

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 07:25:42 PM »
i am in the exact same shoes except brook law has me waitlisted full time (they said i had a great chance of getting in though, and i was toward the top of the waitlist)
I am gonna go to hofstra though because they are offering me a scholarship.
Brooklyn isnt that much better, the location is better though
Hofstra career services say biglaw extends offers to people in the top 15% of their class and had data to back it up
So that is good enough for me
hofstra it is

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 09:16:38 PM »
I second scolomon... Hofstra with money should beat BLS with no money. Did you get the obigatoy $12K too? It's tempting isn't it? If you plan on working in New York, Hofstra is definately the better choice.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 01:46:58 PM »
But cousin Vinny went to Brooklyn.

scolomon

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 02:03:26 PM »
Watch cousin vinny again. He didn't go to brooklyn law, he went to brooklyn institute or something similar

Touche jgruber

Score one for the Scolomonster

abmarz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 02:49:28 PM »
Yeah, Vinny went to something like "Brooklyn Academy of Law" -- not the same as BLS

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 09:02:32 PM »
I would be honored to go to the same school as Vinny. I hear chicks like Marrisa Tome really like guys from Brooklyn Academy of Law...
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.