Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Should progressive steps be taking by institutions in order to increase enrollemnt of low-income students so they can be in a postion to change the conditions in their communities?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Affirmative Action Reform  (Read 7567 times)

maricutie

Re: Affirmative Action Reform
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 03:42:56 PM »
ok, i hear what you're saying, but you're ignoring one little thing called RACISM as if doesn't exist.

Usually racism (to the point it would affect your life, your chances for a good education, etc) correlates extremely well with poverty. I figure that the rich minorities that make up something like 86% of all AA admits (stat from the Mich case) have faced some discrimination/racism in their life, but I don't think it meets that threshold. But then again, I myself am not one of these 86%, so I have no personal experience to back it up.

Anyone? 

WoeIsMe

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 03:43:58 PM »
i think what people have been trying to say is there is nothing in SES that would exclude race as a factor. 

SES = c1*lsat + c2*gpa + c3*economic_background + c4*ethnic + c5*racial + c6*URM + cn*(FACTOR(n))

In a sense, SES is a more general theory that provides the same advantages as AA but it is less exclusionary. 

The reality is the current AA system does operate this way, with c6 having a larger value.  The problem is when the official policy states AA is different than SES, people of course are going to differ over its fairness.

Ah. See, that's the impression I was under: that the official, general AA policy is supposed to mean race is a factor in admissions, albeit not the only one. You just always hear it on this board (And on others) as SES-based AA and race-based AA being two completely different things. I suppose the truth is much more complicated than that, I suppose.

what are you disputing, and where is 'completely different' ever implied?

maricutie

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2005, 03:47:16 PM »
what are you disputing, and where is 'completely different' ever implied?

Wasn't disputing anything. More of a clarification as to whether SES-based affirmative action was inclusive or exclusive of race-based policies, as has been the crux of what seems to have been every single AA discussion on this board. In these discussions race-based AA and economically-disavantaged-AA are exclusive of each other.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2005, 03:55:52 PM »
understood.. then my post is a diversion.  (which, by the way does not conflict your posts in substance.. only in form)

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2005, 03:59:12 PM »
Damn this thread has been resurrected and is jumping off the hook. I wonder if it has anything to do with decisions rolling in and people need to vent.  ???

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2005, 04:00:39 PM »
ok, i hear what you're saying, but you're ignoring one little thing called RACISM as if doesn't exist.

Usually racism (to the point it would affect your life, your chances for a good education, etc) correlates extremely well with poverty. I figure that the rich minorities that make up something like 86% of all AA admits (stat from the Mich case) have faced some discrimination/racism in their life, but I don't think it meets that threshold. But then again, I myself am not one of these 86%, so I have no personal experience to back it up.

Anyone? 

Racial discrimination isn't based solely on financial status...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

maricutie

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2005, 04:04:42 PM »

Anyone? 

Racial discrimination isn't based solely on financial status...

Hence the usually.

Pharoah: I definetely need to vent. RGB (I think) gave me think link from xoxo where they were giving me crap again. >:( Although I suppose I should consider that a certain level of notoriety (infamy?) ...