Law School Discussion

Poll

Should progressive steps be taking by institutions in order to increase enrollemnt of low-income students so they can be in a postion to change the conditions in their communities?

Yes
No

Affirmative Action Reform

maricutie

Re: Affirmative Action Reform
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 01:42:56 PM »
ok, i hear what you're saying, but you're ignoring one little thing called RACISM as if doesn't exist.

Usually racism (to the point it would affect your life, your chances for a good education, etc) correlates extremely well with poverty. I figure that the rich minorities that make up something like 86% of all AA admits (stat from the Mich case) have faced some discrimination/racism in their life, but I don't think it meets that threshold. But then again, I myself am not one of these 86%, so I have no personal experience to back it up.

Anyone? 

WoeIsMe

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 01:43:58 PM »
i think what people have been trying to say is there is nothing in SES that would exclude race as a factor. 

SES = c1*lsat + c2*gpa + c3*economic_background + c4*ethnic + c5*racial + c6*URM + cn*(FACTOR(n))

In a sense, SES is a more general theory that provides the same advantages as AA but it is less exclusionary. 

The reality is the current AA system does operate this way, with c6 having a larger value.  The problem is when the official policy states AA is different than SES, people of course are going to differ over its fairness.

Ah. See, that's the impression I was under: that the official, general AA policy is supposed to mean race is a factor in admissions, albeit not the only one. You just always hear it on this board (And on others) as SES-based AA and race-based AA being two completely different things. I suppose the truth is much more complicated than that, I suppose.

what are you disputing, and where is 'completely different' ever implied?

maricutie

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2005, 01:47:16 PM »
what are you disputing, and where is 'completely different' ever implied?

Wasn't disputing anything. More of a clarification as to whether SES-based affirmative action was inclusive or exclusive of race-based policies, as has been the crux of what seems to have been every single AA discussion on this board. In these discussions race-based AA and economically-disavantaged-AA are exclusive of each other.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2005, 01:55:52 PM »
understood.. then my post is a diversion.  (which, by the way does not conflict your posts in substance.. only in form)

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2005, 01:59:12 PM »
Damn this thread has been resurrected and is jumping off the hook. I wonder if it has anything to do with decisions rolling in and people need to vent.  ???

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2005, 02:00:39 PM »
ok, i hear what you're saying, but you're ignoring one little thing called RACISM as if doesn't exist.

Usually racism (to the point it would affect your life, your chances for a good education, etc) correlates extremely well with poverty. I figure that the rich minorities that make up something like 86% of all AA admits (stat from the Mich case) have faced some discrimination/racism in their life, but I don't think it meets that threshold. But then again, I myself am not one of these 86%, so I have no personal experience to back it up.

Anyone? 

Racial discrimination isn't based solely on financial status...

maricutie

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2005, 02:04:42 PM »

Anyone? 

Racial discrimination isn't based solely on financial status...

Hence the usually.

Pharoah: I definetely need to vent. RGB (I think) gave me think link from xoxo where they were giving me crap again. >:( Although I suppose I should consider that a certain level of notoriety (infamy?) ...