Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WHAT DO I DO NOW?!!!  (Read 2311 times)

thechoson

WHAT DO I DO NOW?!!!
« on: April 19, 2004, 05:46:14 PM »
Now I have three schools I am considering- Arizona State, USD, UNLV.
UNLV is in the mix now cause they gave me a full ride.  IF I keep renewing it (25 percent of class), I graduate with like 45k in debt.  If I don't, about 63k.  So that's a heck of a financial incentive.  But they are relatively new and unknown, although they are 2nd tier now.

USD and ASU are more established, ASU is so close to top 50!  Neither are giving me money!

I would like to practice in California, but if not I'd rather be in Vegas than Phoenix.  BUt ASU is relatively cheap as well, and they are ranked the highest of my choices!

HELP!!! At least help me narrow it down to 2!!!

chooster99

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.53 GPA UC Irvine/161 LSAT...headed for Loyola
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chooster99
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: WHAT DO I DO NOW?!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 05:49:01 PM »
You seem mighty stressed.  I hope an acceptance to Loyola (with the incentive of having ME as a classmate) will be thrown into the mix to complicate things.  ;)

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 06:17:37 PM »
I am mighty stressed.  MIGHTY stressed

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 07:10:38 PM »
Any ideas, folks?

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 08:14:07 PM »
thechosen,

I think you need to relax!  You are going to have a panic attack/nervous breakdown before you ever start law school.  Here's the bottom line from an outsider looking in...

You have the opportunity to go to three good schools.  My vote is for the school located where you want to live because that is what I think is most important.  In that case, pick USD.

If minimal loan debt is more important than where you live, pick UNLV. 

If highest rank is the most important factor for you, then it's ASU.

You really can't loose here.  Pick the ONE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO YOU....figure out which school best fits the bill, and PICK ONE!  Not two...just one!

All of your posts and new threads make it plainly obvious that you are loosing your mind over this decision.  For goodness' sake...act like a lawyer and make a decision.  I'm embarrased for you.  Get it together man!

So, there are three schools.  Each one of them do something better than the other as listed above.  All you have to do is determine which of ONLY THREE criteria is the most important for you, and then you can easily decide the school.

Let us know what you decide, we're all waiting for your decision.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 08:15:04 PM »
I sincerely hope that you get into Loyola. Yet, out of these 3 (I also applied to USD but withdrew) I would chose UNLV. Not only b/c I'm from there but also b/c of debt. I also got a full ride w/ in-state tuition. Also, I'm interested in sports/entertainment law, which UNLV has a pretty good rep for, but obviously not an overwhelming nat'l rep.

It is dangerous to go to a new school and believe me it makes me nervous about how much my future will be affected by it, but I'm confident that in the long run I've always managed to do well the future looks promising for UNLV.

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 08:24:54 PM »
thechosen,

I think you need to relax!  You are going to have a panic attack/nervous breakdown before you ever start law school.  Here's the bottom line from an outsider looking in...

You have the opportunity to go to three good schools.  My vote is for the school located where you want to live because that is what I think is most important.  In that case, pick USD.

If minimal loan debt is more important than where you live, pick UNLV. 

If highest rank is the most important factor for you, then it's ASU.

You really can't loose here.  Pick the ONE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO YOU....figure out which school best fits the bill, and PICK ONE!  Not two...just one!

All of your posts and new threads make it plainly obvious that you are loosing your mind over this decision.  For goodness' sake...act like a lawyer and make a decision.  I'm embarrased for you.  Get it together man!

So, there are three schools.  Each one of them do something better than the other as listed above.  All you have to do is determine which of ONLY THREE criteria is the most important for you, and then you can easily decide the school.

Let us know what you decide, we're all waiting for your decision.

Hey SpeakerDave, I always like hearing from you, you are my voice of reason!  Yea, I do need to pull it together, but it's hard.  Too bad there's no school that can offer all three incentive in one bundle, but that's what I get for not having a 4.0/ 180.  Honestly, I am starting to move away from ASU, because I just don't think I can stand living in Phoenix even for 3 years.  Vegas seems much bettter for me.  They will cost about 100k, which is already a bunch of dough, so what's another 50k to go to USD, hehe.  But yea, it's a tough decision.

Giraffe, thanks for your response!  I am waiting for Loyola, but idiot me applied in APRIL!!! yes this month!!!  So I am very pessimistic about my admissions chances, and I don't think I'll get scholarships, and I am even worried about whether I'd even get LOANS.  Yea, UNLV would be a gamble cause they are so new, but heck, that's what going to Vegas is all about, right?  At least it would be a cheap gamble.  Giraffe, is your scholarship guranteed for all three years, or do you have a grade stipulation like me?  Thanks!!!

Lavia

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 11:03:14 PM »
Hey, I'm hoping I can calm you down since you helped me!  :D What about calling one of the non-scholarship schools and telling them that you really want to go there, but you were offered a great scholarship elsewhere, and could they put some money in the mix for you?

I don't know if that works, but if you aren't pressed about losing the school altogether, then maybe it won't hurt to ask??

Congrats and good luck!

Lavia

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 11:10:24 PM »
If you really don't have a preference, how bout write the name of each one on a piece of paper, put it into a hat, go to a bar (or someplace with girls), use something along the following on a girl (preferably one you find attractive):

Hi, my name is "TheChosen" (fill in with your real name).  I am trying to decide between three law schools and I just can't do it.  Can I buy you a drink and in return for the drink, can you please pick out one piece of paper from this hat and that is where I will go and you will have helped me tremedously in my decision because I am so torn"

It will be a unique enough pick up line that the girl might like it (I'd find it an extremely unique way to be picked up if I was the girl that you did that too).  Then maybe you will meet someone new and your decision will be made.  And to top it off, if come to find out the school is awful, you can always blame it on the dumb broad you met at the bar :P

(

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 11:16:32 PM »
If you really don't have a preference, how bout write the name of each one on a piece of paper, put it into a hat, go to a bar (or someplace with girls), use something along the following on a girl (preferably one you find attractive):

Hi, my name is "TheChosen" (fill in with your real name).  I am trying to decide between three law schools and I just can't do it.  Can I buy you a drink and in return for the drink, can you please pick out one piece of paper from this hat and that is where I will go and you will have helped me tremedously in my decision because I am so torn"

It will be a unique enough pick up line that the girl might like it (I'd find it an extremely unique way to be picked up if I was the girl that you did that too).  Then maybe you will meet someone new and your decision will be made.  And to top it off, if come to find out the school is awful, you can always blame it on the dumb broad you met at the bar :P

(
I have a girlfriend