Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In @ UTexas  (Read 1126 times)

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
In @ UTexas
« on: December 11, 2004, 02:48:41 PM »
Got the mail this afternoon.  It was dated Dec. 10, so my guess is they sent out a wave of them yesterday.  I live literally across the street from the law school, so I got mine first.  Best of luck to everyone else waiting to hear!

EDIT:  For those who like to know such things, the letter came in an all-white #10 envelope.  It looked pretty much like the standard rejection letter envelope, though it was somewhat thick because it had 4 sheets of tri-folded paper inside.

vegemitemama

Re: In @ UTexas
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 02:55:35 PM »
Congratulations! Do you think being in-state helped much? (although I see your LSAT is pretty far above the median)

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 03:32:15 PM »
Congratulations! Do you think being in-state helped much? (although I see your LSAT is pretty far above the median)

I'm not sure about my case specifically, but being in state definitely helps.  UT is required by state law to matriculate 80% in-state, so it seems like a no-brainer to me that they are going to have to be less picky on in-staters than out-of-staters.

That said, I have heard (though I have absolutely no way to confirm) that they are slightly biased against people who went to UT for undergrad -- that they prefer to get Texas residents who went to college outside the state.  It makes sense to me from a "diversity of experiences" perspective, but it could just be sour grapes from UT undergrads who didn't get in.

To be absolutely frank though, I think I probably made it on numbers alone.  I don't say that to be cocky, but just to mean that I don't think I'm the best person to get a read off in-state/out-of-state or UT/other school undergrad.

route29

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 09:13:05 PM »
MindTheGap:

Did you have any indication through your online status page that you were admitted?  Did the status change or indicate a decision was made prior to you receiving the acceptance letter?

Thanks.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 09:24:34 PM »
Congrats! And I'm curious about the online status check too.....
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 10:39:12 PM »
MindTheGap:

Did you have any indication through your online status page that you were admitted?  Did the status change or indicate a decision was made prior to you receiving the acceptance letter?

Thanks.

My online status hasn't changed, it still says "Your JD application was received on November 17, 2004 and is currently being considered for Early Decision."

c00lbeans

• Sr. Citizen
  • I come from the crazy world of Architecture
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 01:56:35 AM »
Wow, congratulation!!
And really nice score... must be nice:)
I'm applying to UT soon...
I'm not sure I have a chance, but I'll try anyways ^^
Baylor Fall 2005

BigTex

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 02:42:05 AM »
Kick ass Mind, congrats! I study in the UT law library all the time. I head up there on weekends just to read whatever (tech computer books for work, english lit, whatever). I've probably looked down at your house across the street numerous times.

I say "house" because i don't recall every seeing apartments directly across the street.

eeniemeeniemineymoe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 04:38:02 AM »
congrats, dude!  UT has a special place in my heart.  =)
Going from mush to meringue...

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 08:58:04 AM »
Kick ass Mind, congrats! I study in the UT law library all the time. I head up there on weekends just to read whatever (tech computer books for work, english lit, whatever). I've probably looked down at your house across the street numerous times.

I say "house" because i don't recall every seeing apartments directly across the street.

I'm not quite directly across the street; I live in an apartment complex on the corner of Red River and Dean Keaton.  If I walk outside my front door, I'm looking down on Medical Arts and the law co-op.  It's called River Oaks, a bunch of the law school students live there.

Last year when I was doing legal research for an extra-credit paper, I spent a lot of time in the law library.  For whatever reason, I haven't gone back this semester, though it is a great place to study.