Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is the best way to prepare for the LSAT  (Read 2279 times)

j-lsat

• View Profile
    • Email
What is the best way to prepare for the LSAT
« on: April 19, 2004, 04:53:19 PM »
Sometimes I just don't feel like I am getting. Like I am slow or something :'(

jgruber

Re: What is the best way to prepare for the LSAT
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 04:56:07 PM »
THere are a number of courses and books suggested on this site.  I used one, barely worked at it, and improved my score not one iota.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 12:21:27 PM »
Sometimes I just don't feel like I am getting. Like I am slow or something :'(

i too feel that pain whenever i talk to my wife...i never get anything she says.

practice, practice and practice more...you cant have that type of a defeatist attitude or else youre gonna let the lsat get to you in a negative way.  stay positive and focused. 

my favorite word in most of the lsat study guides is 'ATTACK'.  it really does mean attack it.  dont let it sucker punch you and get you depressed.  you have to realize that the lsat is THE hardest standardized test and half-hearted efforts will only display half-hearted scores. 

my humble tips:
1) even if you miss every question, keep your head up.  never let the lsat be a factor in whether you want to be a lawyer or not, if in fact that is what you want in life.
2) go over the answer explanation for every question you got missed AND the ones you got correctly.  repetition is key to studying.
3) when you go over the answer explanation for something and you still dont understand, post it here and someone will try to help.  its always better to understand a question and not skip over it because you just dont get it.  ALWAYS ask for help whenever possible.  you have to have the desire to understand why certain questions have certain answers, even if the explanation seems incorrect.  NEVER LET THE QUESTION WIN. 
4) always tell yourself 'YOU DA MAN! (or woman)'. 

if none of these tactics work for you, just have zpops take the test for you and pray you wont get caught (totally kidding about that)

you should join the lsat study team somewhere on this board...not sure if theyve started yet, but im sure there are others in your situation but dont necessarily have the balls to confess.

'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Ivy_Bound

• IVY Class of '07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 12:53:17 PM »
Hey hang in there man.  I practiced for like 2 months straight but come test day i was condident and able.  i saw a big jump in my reading comp speed and in my games score.

if you need any more specific advice, just let me know.
Columbia or Stanford?

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 01:36:15 PM »
Also keep in mind that you don't have to ace it to get a good score.  LSAT is graded on a curve.  A 180 score means you did better than 99% of the people who took the test.  It does not mean you got every answer right.

When I took my practice test for the first time, I missed quite a few questions.  I was sure I was headed for the rubbish heap of LSAT history.  Then I converted the raw score and my score was 156.  Not fantastice, but good enough for me to keep slugging.

keating

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 02:57:20 PM »
If you're having trouble staying motivated, take a prep class or get a tutor. You'll get enough homework that you have to do it to stay on top of it all. With steady practice it will click. Maybe gradually, maybe a big lightbulb will go off, but if it doesn't on your own, then definitely do a PR class or something.