Law School Discussion

North Carolina Central University

North Carolina Central University
« on: December 11, 2004, 05:22:19 AM »
Anyone have info on this school?  I heard that most of the classes are held at either Duke or UNC, Chapel Hill, but the tuition is really low.

Has anyone every transferred from this school into anywhere else?

Re: North Carolina Central University
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 06:40:22 AM »
No idea.

But I think our current Governor is a graduate of that law school.

BIG H2001

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 11:42:48 PM »
Anyone have info on this school?  I heard that most of the classes are held at either Duke or UNC, Chapel Hill, but the tuition is really low.

Has anyone every transferred from this school into anywhere else?

Yes, the tuition is low, it's something like 3K a year which of course is ridiculously cheap.  It's an HBCU (historically black college) but the law school is about a 50/50 ratio.  And, no, the classes are not held at UNC and Duke.  I think they're constructing a new law building but have a temporary home right now. However, it is not at UNC or Duke.  I think UNC, Duke, and NC Central have an agreement where you can take intrinstitutional classes if they are not offered at the school you are attending but offered at one of the three schools.

HTH

dr_draino

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 11:49:59 PM »
Job placement is pretty spotty coming out of there...I knew an engineer who went there and it took him about 6 months to find an IP job...that's a pretty long time for an engineer looking to do IP.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 04:41:57 PM »
A friend of mine is a 3L there.  She likes it and really enjoys that area.  But she went there because she has very little debt and wants to work in public interest.  She has a public interest job lined up, but I know a lot of her friends don't have any prospects.  They do have their own buildings!  It is a pretty small school though, so you will know everyone.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 05:27:01 PM »
What about transfer prospects to local schools such as UNC, Chapel Hill?  Could you ask your friend about it??

Thanks for the info!  :)

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 05:51:39 PM »
Generally, laterally transfering within a tier is more common than going from a T4 (which is what NCCU is) to a top 30 school.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you'd likely have to be the top student in your class and have some compelling reasons.  Going from T4 to T1 is a pretty large leap, after all.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 06:11:06 PM »
I would think it would be really hard to transfer into UNC.  The difference in tiers and reputations is enormous.  I will ask my friend to be sure, but she has finals now ;)

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 07:17:19 AM »
Interestingly, the UNC application asks if you have every applied before to UNC OR to NCCU. I'm not sure why and you can read into it what you wish.