Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This year's application class  (Read 2811 times)

kidblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: This year's application class
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2004, 01:21:45 PM »
I saw a graph in the NY Times this morning: Unemployment is down in the NY area (compared to last year). I'm too lazy to look it up, but I imagine unemplyment is down for the country as a whole. Since low unemployment means small applicant pool, this is a good sign for those of us who are applying this year.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: This year's application class
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2004, 10:36:32 PM »
Well, Penn's ranking should go up this year with the sort of crazy rejection numbers they'll post this time out.

Is there any place the schools announce their application volume?

the 72% increase number came from lexy, who loves penn.  not sure where she got it.  the estimated 7000 applications is in their rejection letter.

forkids, thanks for the kind remarks :)  i've been pretty confident about my chances there, but a 177 popped up on LSN as a rejection.  now i'm a bit worried.  i sent a diversity statement (i'm middle eastern, but not URM), but i didn't write the "why penn?" essay.  with the increase that they're having, i think it would be a wise move for them to pay particular attention to those why penn essays.  when you have that many people competing for a small number of spots, why not give them to the people that seem to want it the most?  it won't come as a complete shock to me if i do get dinged.  and regardless, i have NYU and boalt.  i'd strongly consider penn if i got it, but if i don't, i'll console myself with the other two that are at the top of my list right now.

re the employment rate and such, a few weeks ago there was an article saying that job prospects for this year's college graduating class look really good, relative to the last few years.  i think that's definitely good news for us, though hopefully the effect is seen this year.  would that be too quick?
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?