Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Illinois ding-a-ling  (Read 4720 times)

louieleftwing

Re: Illinois ding-a-ling
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2005, 08:07:35 PM »
ilsox7, you don't believe there's a difference (and neither do I) but some applicants might. Plus, I'm also just trying to point out that, unlike Wisconsin, UIUC will not be making these gradual drops a habit.

Jmille11, for Philly, probably not. but if you were sure you wanted a Midwest market, then yeah, I'd take the full-ride at Illinois. I personally think Burgh should consider the partial ride.

Seriously Burgh, NU might seem sexier now because it's a top-14. But in 5 years when your in a Chicago law firm as an associate sitting the next office offer from an Illinois grad. in your same position, with the same pay, and half the debt, you wish you went to UIUC. It's not like UIUC is laughed at in Chicago. NU's peer assessment score in the latest rankings was a 4.2. UIUC's was a 3.7. That's as big a difference between UIUC and Fordham (at 3.2). I know that's a partially flawed stat, but so is the whole damn list.

jmille11

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2005, 08:13:34 PM »
hypothetically though, say i graduate in the top 5% of my class. would i pretty much be able to land a good job regardless of location (philly, dc, etc)?

dr_draino

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2005, 08:25:20 PM »
If you can find someone in those markets willing to interview you, yeah, you'd be competitive...just check nalp to see how many firms from those locals interview at UIUC, otherwise you're gonna be limited to job fairs and what not.  It's not that firms in Philly think UIUC is a *&^% school, it's just that they can't exactly go hopping around the country to every good law school to do interviews, and they're not gonna fly you out to philly for a first round interview or anything.

hypothetically though, say i graduate in the top 5% of my class. would i pretty much be able to land a good job regardless of location (philly, dc, etc)?