Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Illinois ding-a-ling  (Read 4809 times)

ilsox7

Re: Illinois ding-a-ling
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2005, 07:14:20 PM »
Thanks guys.  Ironically, I now find myself faced with exactly the dilema I raised in a hypothetical context 2 hours ago:  Is paying $36,000/year to attend Northwestern better than paying $18,000/year to attend Illinois?

I think it is.  With a degree from NU you can go anywhere.  And if you want to do BigLaw, you will be set at NU.  I guess my reasoning is that no one can sit here and tell you right now that they will ace law school.  So leaving yourself the most room for error is the ideal.  Even if you suck at NU, you can still get a rockin job.  If you suck at Illinois, you may get stuck in Urbana and never get out!  j/k

louieleftwing

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2005, 07:23:01 PM »
Oh okay carlsonjd, you redeemed yourself. I thought you were blasting the law school. UIUC is a very good law school with quality faculty. Champaign, you're right, doesn't seem to be a great place. The campus isn't that great.

But, for me, I've been in this urban suburbia outside D.C. for my whole life. Odds are, with the profession I've chosen, I'll be in a major urban center again soon enough. I lived at home while going to Maryland (College Park is kinda a psuedo-college town) so the idea of getting to a college town for a few years is fine by me. Burgh, with your experience at Penn State it may not be your thing.

But, I do believe that Illinois has a plan to bring themselves back well into the top-25 and this is their cycle to do it. See my post in the visits board about my experience on Friday. Oh, and since sometimes the people make the place, I want Burgh to know that Illinois' law students seemed like a really cool bunch of people.

Talk to some real-life Chicago lawyers about your choice Burgh; they'll have better insight than we will.

ilsox7

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2005, 07:24:50 PM »
There is 0 difference between being ranked 27th (which I think UIUC is) and 25th.  I pretty much view 20-30 as the same.

jmille11

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2005, 07:52:30 PM »
anyone know how well illinois places further east in places like Philly? is it worth turning down a T14 school for a full ride at UIUC?

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2005, 07:54:38 PM »
anyone know how well illinois places further east in places like Philly? is it worth turning down a T14 school for a full ride at UIUC?

... or even for less than a full ride?

ilsox7

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2005, 07:56:34 PM »

Which top 14?

jmille11

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2005, 07:57:35 PM »
UVA so far, Penn and Michigan pending

ilsox7

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2005, 07:58:49 PM »
UVA so far, Penn and Michigan pending

Again, it's personal for everyone, but I'd go to any of those 3 over a full ride to anywhere outside the top 14. 

dr_draino

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2005, 08:00:19 PM »
1)  Posting this on a ding thread is so uncouth

2)  NU is probably worth the extra 60k...it will more than likely pay for itself

How uncanny is this:  After not hearing a word from Illinois since my app went complete, my acceptance was waiting in the mail today when I got home from work.  And they offered me $10,000 a year to boot.  Excuse me, I have to go respond to Texas and Penn ding threads with questions about their cities and cost/benefit analysis :)

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2005, 08:01:27 PM »
1)  Posting this on a ding thread is so uncouth

2)  NU is probably worth the extra 60k...it will more than likely pay for itself

How uncanny is this:  After not hearing a word from Illinois since my app went complete, my acceptance was waiting in the mail today when I got home from work.  And they offered me $10,000 a year to boot.  Excuse me, I have to go respond to Texas and Penn ding threads with questions about their cities and cost/benefit analysis :)

#@!*, you're right.  I got so caught up in our conversation about Urbana Champaign I wasn't thinking.  My OP has been removed.