Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Illinois ding-a-ling  (Read 4709 times)

ilsox7

Re: Illinois ding-a-ling
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2005, 06:09:33 PM »
Is Illinois really a bad school?  I had them ranked fairly high on my personal list.  UNSWR says they're #27, which is very respectable.  Also, my thought was that if I didn't get into Northwestern, Illinois would be a good bet because I could see myself living and working in Chicago after graduation.  If I get into Illinois with a big scholarship and get no money from Northwestern, I thought I would have an interesting choice to make.  Are you saying that Illinois isn't worth that much consideration at all?

You'd have to pay me to go there.  The campus is as bad as it gets, IMO.  I would never live there.  Location almost never plays a role in my decisions, but it would here.  Just a horrible, horrible place.  Not all people think so, but most do.  If you want to party, it's not bad.  But if you want somewhat of a social life outside the realm of what UG's do, then you're out of luck.  Go to NU.  You'll LOVE spending 3 years in Chicago.

carlsonjd

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2005, 06:18:30 PM »
Well put.  By the beginning of my senior year there, even the party scene was repetitive and boring.  If there is any school where geography should play a factor, it is definitely Illinois.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2005, 06:19:55 PM »
Is Illinois really a bad school?  I had them ranked fairly high on my personal list.  UNSWR says they're #27, which is very respectable.  Also, my thought was that if I didn't get into Northwestern, Illinois would be a good bet because I could see myself living and working in Chicago after graduation.  If I get into Illinois with a big scholarship and get no money from Northwestern, I thought I would have an interesting choice to make.  Are you saying that Illinois isn't worth that much consideration at all?

You'd have to pay me to go there.  The campus is as bad as it gets, IMO.  I would never live there.  Location almost never plays a role in my decisions, but it would here.  Just a horrible, horrible place.  Not all people think so, but most do.  If you want to party, it's not bad.  But if you want somewhat of a social life outside the realm of what UG's do, then you're out of luck.  Go to NU.  You'll LOVE spending 3 years in Chicago.

Yeah, obviously if money is not a factor, Northwestern is my top choice at this point.  Too bad their tuition is $36,000 a year and I doubt my 2.86 will qualify me for any scholarship money there.  I appreciate the feedback on Urbana-Champaign.  It sounds exactly like the environment I'm desperately trying to escape now.  State College is a small college town in the middle of rural central PA.  It was great as an undergrad and even for a few years after, but I need to get into a real city with people over the age of 22.

ilsox7

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2005, 06:20:45 PM »
Is the "test" corn field still across from the football stadium? Back in '98 when I visited for an IU "football" game they had the love corn field for testing.  Always wondered if that went away.

ilsox7

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2005, 06:22:22 PM »
Yeah, obviously if money is not a factor, Northwestern is my top choice at this point.  Too bad their tuition is $36,000 a year and I doubt my 2.86 will qualify me for any scholarship money there.  I appreciate the feedback on Urbana-Champaign.  It sounds like exactly like the environment I'm desperately trying to escape now.  State College is a small college town in the middle of rural central PA.  It was great as an undergrad and even for a few years after, but I need to get into a real city with people over the age of 22.

I'd call up NU and lay everything on the table.  See what they say.  The nice thing abt going there is you should be able to get BigLaw after 1L and 2L if you play your cards right.  That's 25K each summer (before taxes). 

carlsonjd

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2005, 06:36:36 PM »
Yes the corn is still there.  In fact, the Morrow Plots are the longest continuously run experimental corn field in the world.  Throw in Roger Ebert, some mutant cows, and the largest Greek system in the US and you've got yourself one mad-cap, wild romp of a university.  Oh, and everytime the ground thaws in the spring, the stench of cow *&^% is almost overwhelming.

ilsox7

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2005, 06:38:21 PM »
Oh, and everytime the ground thaws in the spring, the stench of cow *&^% is almost overwhelming.

Almost?  It is!  ;D

ilsox7

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2005, 06:59:04 PM »
How uncanny is this:  After not hearing a word from Illinois since my app went complete, my acceptance was waiting in the mail today when I got home from work.  And they offered me $10,000 a year to boot.  Excuse me, I have to go respond to Texas and Penn ding threads with questions about their cities and cost/benefit analysis :)

Congrats.  It is a good school despite its location and 30K is nice too!

carlsonjd

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2005, 07:05:44 PM »
Despite my recent postings, it is a good school and a good letter to get.  Congratulations.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2005, 07:11:46 PM »
Despite my recent postings, it is a good school and a good letter to get.  Congratulations.

Thanks guys.  Ironically, I now find myself faced with exactly the dilema I raised in a hypothetical context 2 hours ago:  Is paying $36,000/year to attend Northwestern better than paying $18,000/year to attend Illinois?