Law School Discussion

[Mildly OT] - Relationship of JD, Master's, PhD, and Professorship?

TomServo

• We are our own photographer!
    • ICQ Messenger - 814749
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=TomServo
Hiey everybody.

Just starting out here, found this discussion board very recently, and taking my LSAT in February, but I'm not certain if I'd rather be a lawyer or a professor.  However, being a "make what you can out of what you have" kind of guy, I'm really into the idea of law school.  This leads to my question:

Knowing that most PT college teaching gigs require a Master's degree, and most tenured professorships require a PhD, where does the JD fit in this relationship?  In other words, does the JD make the Master's moot, and should it benefit the aspiring PhD candidate?  Does the existence of the JD Allow you to become a Prof without a PhD?  In the final estimation, does the JD advance the possibility of becoming a college professor any more or less than a Master's degree that could be obtained much quicker and cheaper?

Any wisdom on this question is greatly appreciated!

wstaffor

• 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: [Mildly OT] - Relationship of JD, Master's, PhD, and Professorship?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 05:43:36 PM »
A JD would qualify you to teach law school, as long as it is from one of HYSCC. In order to teach other than that you would need at least an SJD, but probably a PhD.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 06:17:58 PM »
Not necessarily. It depends on where you get your degree from, plus where you want to teach. I'd say in most cases all you need is an LL.M. to teach, though technically you are /able/ to teach with a JD. An SJD is overkill in almost all circumstances I'd say, and VERY hard to get into.

The biggest thing I'd say about getting into law school professorship is to have publications behind you. That should help you out.

fabdiva

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 06:26:54 PM »
You might want to take a look at Brian Leiter's pages on entering legal academia: http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/GUIDE.HTM. As for tenure-track positions in U.S. universities and colleges, not law schools, almost all require a PhD in the field of expertise.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 07:41:52 PM »
It's my understanding that a JD is all that's expected for a law school professorship, unless you need the LLM/SJD to get a better name on your CV.  That said, I'm doing a MPhil right now in part because I think it'll be useful for a future teaching/research career, but that's by no means the only reason.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 12:28:41 PM »
A Masters degree would basically allow you to teach at a community college. Most of those positions are as adjuncts.  Depending on what you wanted to teach, you could get an adjunct position with a JD.  You can have a JD and teach at the university level in some fields.  You won't qualify for a tenure track professor position, but could be a lecturer in some fields at most universities.