Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA  (Read 1795 times)

phishie

• GPA: 3.26, LSAT: 158 (Info is on LSN)
    • View Profile
UVA
« on: December 10, 2004, 01:19:35 PM »
Does UVA give any sort of preference to in-state applicants?

That would be great, since I'm in-state...(and yes, I know my numbers suck and I'm not going to get in there anyways...no one needs to point that out...I know)
Schools pending: Emory, Wake Forest

Schools accepted so far:  Miami, GSU

School(s) deferred:  UVA

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UVA
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 01:27:10 PM »

That would be great, since I'm in-state...(and yes, I know my numbers suck and I'm not going to get in there anyways...no one needs to point that out...I know)

Yeah, they do prefer in-state applicants so it will help you out - even though you're not going to get in anyway, j/k.  I applied there too and I'm not going to get in plus I'm out of state.  Good luck.
There are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions.
Attending in the fall: GW

brothernads

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 01:27:56 PM »

Check UVA's Fast Facts for details. Last year, the enrolled class was 40% in-state and 60% out-of-state.

phishie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 01:34:42 PM »
Awesome...thanks for the info.  I'm sure I probably read that somewhere, but I always forget these things.  I'm hoping maybe they will wait more than a day to reject me.  Maybe they'll see something in my app packet that will just totally jump out at them.  They'll be like...wow, this chick is so cool...we have to have her at our school even though her numbers suck...

brothernads

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 01:41:05 PM »
When is UVA going to let 'er rip? One week left for ED applicants - when do you think the letters will be on the way?

phishie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 02:08:52 PM »
I bet UVA is going to do a mass mailing on the 17th.  They are probably just getting everyone ready and then going to send out all of the letters together so that there won't be as much speculation.  You saw what happened when Georgetown had a rolling admissions policy...people were freaking out because they hadn't heard yet...did that mean that they were surely not getting in or surely getting in.  I think UVA is a little more anal about being all around the same time frame.  But I am definitely pacing back and forth waiting for my rejection ;)

brothernads

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 03:24:56 PM »
This person on LSN has changed to 'Deferred'.

Think this is the real deal or not?

ClaudiaM85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 08:54:05 PM »
Actually, UVA law school admits the same number of out-of-stae students as in-state, maybe even more out of state since they know that out of state students are more likely to decline the offer since they might not be familiar with the area. They admit equal numbers of both groups to offset this. The only perks of being an in-state student is about 6,000K less in tuition. So, i think for this reason, in-state and out-of-state have the same probability of getting in.

best,
claudia
Law school is overrated

timmy76

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 01:45:42 AM »
Claudia,
  You are wrong.  There is an advantage to being in state.  The rate of admissions for out of staters is about 16%, and for instate it is 25%.  Additionally, in staters LSAts average 1 point below out of staters.  The school always tries tro keep about 40% in state.  Trust me on this, I know a ton about UVA Law.

Tim

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 02:23:11 AM »
I talked to a rep from UVA (AdCom member) who said that there really is no difference btwn. applying in-state compared to out of state. I certainly took that with a huge grain of salt, but it does not seem that the difference is as great as some other schools.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.