Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at Illinois  (Read 2847 times)

LSATGuru

Re: In at Illinois
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 01:58:35 PM »
I'd probably go to Illinois if they offered me $10k.  I'm in-state 163/3.98.  According to their index, yours tinker is 3.283 and mine is 3.378.  I'm sure you got $$ because of your out-of-state status.  What state do you live in?

I am 165/3.5 out of state.  I applied in October.  $10,000.  I thought that was pretty good. Thoughts, comments on that?

I don't know if WashU will give me enough to get my cost to $15,000 a year.  I was RD and I got a phone call from the Dean of Admissions, Paul Pless (I think).  He said a letter was in the mail but I haven't gotten that yet.

tinkerschance

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 02:04:39 PM »
Do schools actually use the index?  I have heard that some do and some don't.  Being a "Senior Citizen" and all maybe you have more info on that. 

I live in Boulder currently, my parents live in Florida though, that is where I would be classified as a "resident".

LSATGuru

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 02:13:59 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure schools do.  If a school is listed as having an Index formula (available and created by LSAC) it means that they took the time out to ask LSAC to track how their students do according to their LSAT/GPA and their actual grades once they get into law school. 

Some schools students' do better if they have higher LSAT scores versus the "best" GPAs.  Other schools look for students with higher GPAs and aren't as focused on LSAT because through their index formula they know that the students who get the best grades at their law school have in common a very high GPA, so they want to admit people with higher GPAs. 

There are schools that don't use an index (case, Penn, etc...) and I think they're more subjective about it.  I'm pretty sure most state schools use indexes though, and I'd venture to say they pay attention to them (esp. for presumptive admit/decline).  I think some State schools like Illionis  are VERY interested in getting out-of-state admits because they want a national reputation like Michigan or Berkeley and you have to have students who are willing to go out of state after graduation (because typically they came from out of state) for a national rep. in most cases (exception: UT Austin). 

Regardless, in Illinois' case, I think  I will still get shafted even with a 3.387 Index for some reason.  Stu's index is 3.3024 and was a recent admit also.

LSATGuru

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 02:30:26 PM »
Wow....

I just got a rejection letter from UIUC.  In a way, I think this makes my decision a lot easier, as I really wanted a reason to leave Illinois, and now I have it.

In another, more accurate, way, though I'm literally shocked.  I have the EXACT same index number as an (in-state) friend of mine who got in (had no better PS or LORs) last year (which was more competitive) and received a $10,000 scholarship offer (but he turned it down to go to Northwestern). 

When I opened it I was thinking "okay, how much schoalrship money" so it was sort of jarring to see "we will be unable to offer you a place in our Fall 2005 entering class."

In retrospect, I think I may have blackballed myself.  I came in this past July and talked to the guy who is now Director of Admissions for about 20 minutes, took a tour with him, and I think I may have said a few presumptive things to him, though I can't think of anything specific. 

I came for another tour a few weeks ago and sat in on a class.  That time I definitely came off semi-haughty, and I told the 3L (who worked in the admissions office) that I had already received a full ride from a tier 1 school (probably, now that I think about it, the pivotal 'death move.')

All I can say is "meh," and move on, as my biggest worry was that UIUC would give me a big scholarship and it would kill the excitement of moving out of state, meeting new people, experiencing a new culture, because I would have probably attended.

In the great words of my friend carrie "Two tears in a bucket, @#!* it."   ::)

LSATGuru

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 02:35:49 PM »
I just noticed this---I wrote this about 120 seconds before I opened the ding letter:
"Regardless, in Illinois' case, I think  I will still get shafted even with a 3.387 Index for some reason.  Stu's index is 3.3024 and was a recent admit also."

Also, this could be just about the most repugnant thing I could ever think up to put in a decline letter:
"the adcom would enourcage you to apply for admission as a transfer student if you find yourself achieving success at an ABA approved law school.  If admitted, we will be delighted to award you a $500 book certificate for use at the College's bookstore upon your enrollment as a 2L."  pathetic, someone should be shot for coming up with the idea of putting this into a rejection letter.

Wow....

I just got a rejection letter from UIUC.  In a way, I think this makes my decision a lot easier, as I really wanted a reason to leave Illinois, and now I have it.

In another, more accurate, way, though I'm literally shocked.  I have the EXACT same index number as an (in-state) friend of mine who got in (had no better PS or LORs) last year (which was more competitive) and received a $10,000 scholarship offer (but he turned it down to go to Northwestern). 

When I opened it I was thinking "okay, how much schoalrship money" so it was sort of jarring to see "we will be unable to offer you a place in our Fall 2005 entering class."

In retrospect, I think I may have blackballed myself.  I came in this past July and talked to the guy who is now Director of Admissions for about 20 minutes, took a tour with him, and I think I may have said a few presumptive things to him, though I can't think of anything specific. 

I came for another tour a few weeks ago and sat in on a class.  That time I definitely came off semi-haughty, and I told the 3L (who worked in the admissions office) that I had already received a full ride from a tier 1 school (probably, now that I think about it, the pivotal 'death move.')

All I can say is "meh," and move on, as my biggest worry was that UIUC would give me a big scholarship and it would kill the excitement of moving out of state, meeting new people, experiencing a new culture, because I would have probably attended.

In the great words of my friend carrie "Two tears in a bucket, #@!* it."   ::)

Negotiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2004, 04:17:50 PM »
Did all of you do early decision? All the LSNs are ED.

I have yet to hear from Illinois, although I did only go complete a couple weeks ago. Heopfully I will hear from them soon, as I am interested to see how much it will end up costing me (in-state).

help101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2004, 05:15:01 PM »
congrats ;D

rwhitman

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004, 07:03:42 PM »
I just noticed this---I wrote this about 120 seconds before I opened the ding letter:
"Regardless, in Illinois' case, I think  I will still get shafted even with a 3.387 Index for some reason.  Stu's index is 3.3024 and was a recent admit also."

Also, this could be just about the most repugnant thing I could ever think up to put in a decline letter:
"the adcom would enourcage you to apply for admission as a transfer student if you find yourself achieving success at an ABA approved law school.  If admitted, we will be delighted to award you a $500 book certificate for use at the College's bookstore upon your enrollment as a 2L."  pathetic, someone should be shot for coming up with the idea of putting this into a rejection letter.

Wow....

In the great words of my friend carrie "Two tears in a bucket, #@!* it."   ::)

It could be anything, maybe they just wanted to up their LSAT median? Or maybe it was something besides numbers, WE or something.  Congrats on your full scholarship to tier 1 though.

LSATGuru

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004, 08:15:40 PM »
I have 2 years of management experience at a Down Jones 30 company and a 4.00 GPA (finance) and am at their Median LSAT, but thanks for the condolances... I guess.  Here's $5, go buy some tact.

HTH

Negotiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004, 09:38:48 PM »
I have 2 years of management experience at a Down Jones 30 company and a 4.00 GPA (finance) and am at their Median LSAT, but thanks for the condolances... I guess.  Here's $5, go buy some tact.

HTH

You have no reason to be a male private part about the poster trying to help explain why you may not have been accepted. If you don't want a response, don't post about it. Maybe you should keep that $5.