Law School Discussion

Rutger Newark & U Pitt.

zya

Rutger Newark & U Pitt.
« on: December 10, 2004, 07:54:49 AM »
I have not visited either one, and although one is ranked higher than the other I dont know a lot abt either. Any info- student body, area around the school, cost of living (might be moving from tx), job prospects after grad, faculty, the school environment..??
Anything?

Re: Rutger Newark & U Pitt.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 10:17:36 AM »
I have not visited either one, and although one is ranked higher than the other I dont know a lot abt either. Any info- student body, area around the school, cost of living (might be moving from tx), job prospects after grad, faculty, the school environment..??
Anything?

Pitt is located in Oakland, which in theory should be a great neighborhood because it has the University and the Carnegie Museums.  In the past 10-15 years it's turned into a ghetto, like much of econmocially repressed Pittsburgh.  They have a famous hot dog shop called "The O" near campus where people get shot, stabbed, and raped on a frequent enough basis that it's not surprising anymore.  There are a lot of homeless people and a lot of drugs in this area too. The cost of living is cheap.   

I grew up in Pittsburgh and moved to Texas when I was in high school. It was total culture shock - Like moving to a different country :)

Re: Rutger Newark & U Pitt.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 10:26:48 AM »
I was also born and raised in Pittsburgh (Mt. Washington area) and still live here.  It's a blue collar town with a blue collar attitude.  It's really not as bad as people are saying.  It has the typical amount of crime that any city has in my opinion. As with any city, there are good (Shadyside) and bad (Hill District) parts of town.  Both of these neighborhoods border Oakland, which is where the University is located. If you like an Urban campus, you can't beat it.  If you're looking for a nice, scenic, 'university feel' campus, It's probably not for you.