Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miami info?  (Read 3645 times)

phishie

• GPA: 3.26, LSAT: 158 (Info is on LSN)
    • View Profile
Miami info?
« on: December 10, 2004, 10:31:21 AM »
I just got accepted at Miami and I know nothing about it.  If anyone has any inside info on details about the law school or the area, it would be much appreciated!  How easy is it to get a job, quality of life, cost of living, reputation of LS...etc. 

Thanks in advance.
Schools pending: Emory, Wake Forest

Schools accepted so far:  Miami, GSU

School(s) deferred:  UVA

SleepyGuyYawn

Re: Miami info?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 10:44:37 AM »
Congradulations!  It's quite good you got into Miami b/c (and no offense) I think you applied to a lot of far-reach schools -- even if you went to Harvard for UG and even if your personal statement was amazing, a 158/ 3.3 is not going to cut it at Berkeley, USC, UT, Emory, GMU, Georgetown, Wake Forest, American, or UVA.  Maryland is possible, but unlikely.

So in my opinion, if your lucky, you'll be choosing from Georgia State and Miami.  That's the bad news.

The good news is that both schools are pretty good.  I think both offer good job options -- perhaps Georgia State slightly better, but not significantly.  Quality of Life is fantastic in Miami (my God, have you been there?  Wow!).  But Atlanta is really great too.  The one thing about Miami is that there is a lot of crime in the city and a lot of poverty in the city.  But then there are great beaches and nightlife as well.
Cost of living -- Miami isn't cheap, especially because it's been growing by leaps and bounds the last decade or so.  Atlanta probably would be cheaper. 
Reputation?  Not sure -- I think they are both regional to a large extent, so the question is where you would want to live, South Florida -- or Atlanta?

phishie

• GPA: 3.26, LSAT: 158 (Info is on LSN)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 12:29:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback...I don't mind your bluntness.  I realize that I don't have much of a chance at most of the schools that I applied to, but I figured I wouldn't know if I didn't try.  I have no problem with going to Miami or Georgia State, I think I could get a good job with either of them.

I'm even leaning a bit more towards GS, simply because I already live in Atlanta.  But I am going to seriously consider all of the schools that I end up getting into (even if it's just GS and Miami).  Miami is a beautiful city and I know I could be happy there too.  If anyone else has more to say about Miami or Georgia State, I'd love to hear the feedback.
Schools pending: Emory, Wake Forest

Schools accepted so far:  Miami, GSU

School(s) deferred:  UVA

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 01:56:12 AM »
I would probably choose Miami. It seems like it has more of a national reputation - perhaps maybe because of the sports..it's just more well know.

the REAL desi

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 02:08:00 AM »
Miami over GSU in a heart beat.  At GSU you will be competing with Emory and UGA students for jobs.  At Miami, you will be competing w/ UF students.  HOwever, alot of UF students do not want to go to Miami.  It's definitely a different way of life down there.  You live in Atlanta - it's so damn southern.  Miami is a different world - it's fantastic and I love it.  You should visit Miami for a few days and see whether you will like the lifestyle down there.  All I can say is that my friend in Palm Beach told me today that the weather was in the mid 70's and I was on the verge of punching the wall because I was freezing up here in Atlanta ...

Gummo

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 02:12:18 AM »
Miami over GSU in a heart beat.  At GSU you will be competing with Emory and UGA students for jobs.  At Miami, you will be competing w/ UF students.  HOwever, alot of UF students do not want to go to Miami.  It's definitely a different way of life down there.  You live in Atlanta - it's so damn southern.  Miami is a different world - it's fantastic and I love it.  You should visit Miami for a few days and see whether you will like the lifestyle down there.  All I can say is that my friend in Palm Beach told me today that the weather was in the mid 70's and I was on the verge of punching the wall because I was freezing up here in Atlanta ...

So GSU doesn't fare very well in ATL?

the REAL desi

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 02:18:10 AM »

So GSU doesn't fare very well in ATL?

they fare fine in the large firms.  and very well in the mid-sized firms.  i dare say that most mid-sized firms would rather take a GSU/UGa person over an Emory person because the Emory student body in general has one eyeball on the northeast at all times.  i believe the PAST reputation is that alot of emory grads would work in atl for three years then lateral back to the northeast, so alot of the mid-sized firms would prefer someone who is more apt to stay around... hence GSU

jbs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 01:07:24 PM »
I just got accepted at Miami and I know nothing about it.  If anyone has any inside info on details about the law school or the area, it would be much appreciated!  How easy is it to get a job, quality of life, cost of living, reputation of LS...etc. 

Thanks in advance.
i lived in miami (right on south beach) and worked on campus at UM.  while it was fun, it got old very quick.  it was also a really difficult place to get work done because there is a party everywhere, every day and every night.  its also a very expensive city to live in (unless you live downtown - a true hole in the earth).  public transport also sucks in miami so you really need a car (though, to be honest, i don't know about public transport systems in atl).  the beach is a great perk to living in miami as is the nightlife but, let's face it, in your 1st year you probably won't have time for too much of that.  miami is also a place to be "seen".  there's a very artificial vibe in the air.

as for the university...when i worked there, it was pretty much understood that the school was a "privileged kid" school.  the few law students i knew liked their school but they also knew they already had jobs waiting for them upon graduation.  i think the law school is a pretty good choice for entertainment/sports law and dispute resolution but, personally, i would only go back to miami if my entire tuition (or most of it) was paid for.
"i don't know what you're afraid of
i don't know what you've heard
get up, come on, let's do something
dontcha wanna know the Word"

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jbs

magicrat

• 163/4.05
    • View Profile
    • Running Through the Darkness
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004, 03:16:39 PM »
All I can say is that my friend in Palm Beach told me today that the weather was in the mid 70's and I was on the verge of punching the wall because I was freezing up here in Atlanta ...

Try living in Chicago this time of year.  It brings a whole new meaning to "freezing" when you're walking down the streets with the wind whipping off the lake.  Atlanta sounds like a dream to me.
http://www.livejournal.com/~magicrat34/

Accepted & Considering- ASU-10K first year, UAlabama-Half Tuition

Pending & Wondering- U of Illinois

rfirpo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 11:45:30 AM »
Miami is an excellent law school and has made great strides in the last ten years.
Scott Turow reportedly based one of his One L characters on a professor there: Michael Fischel (who also wrote a book on how to take law school exams).

Also, Miami (Coral Gables) is a great place to live.