Law School Discussion

Miami info?

SleepyGuyYawn

Re: Miami info?
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2004, 08:08:41 AM »
Hmmm... That's a good point about location.

And I would agree that Tulane is more national, but that doesn't mean it's a better law school.  In any case, if you graduate in the bottom 40% (yes, I know that NOBODY thinks they will, but everyone is smart at Tulane) you might be forced to live in -- gulp -- Louisiana... Ok, I'm sure it's not that bad, but for a midwesterner like me, I'd rather go w/ Miami I think.

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2004, 11:19:25 AM »
After the t25, I judge a school based on its location and legal market. In this case, UM has the better location (imo) and is a bigger metro area, so the legal market and employment prospects are probably better. Honestly, I think both are regional like everyone else has said, and both pretty much have solid reputations.

It would hard to argue that one was better academically though. Really, the rankings are foolish in T2. It's all politics.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2004, 11:41:06 AM »
You're right that the rankings are crap when it comes to T2 or beyond.  So true.

But I would say that Leiter does a pretty good job of ranking faculty quality -- Tulane and Miami are virtually tied if memory serves me right.

Depends on what you're looking for too.  If you want experience in Latin American Law, courses in Spanish for lawyers, some of the best immigration law experience in the country, incredible critical legal theory (the LatCrit at Miami is leading the nation), then you go to Miami.

A real argument could be made that, like Vermont, Lewis and Clark, and Oregon are leading the nation in Environmental Law, Miami is leading the nation in Latin American Law.  Tulane is quite good in international law as well, but its faculty (so I've heard) has dwindled in international law in the past few years while Miami's has become stronger. And Tulane tends more toward European international law -- as Louisiana's legal system is more similar to that of most European legal systems.

But if corporate law is your bag, I think Tulane probably has a bit of an advantage.

So you are right in a way.  You can't compare the two from the rankings on US News.  But they aren't the same law school either.  The fact is that both have real strengths in some specific areas.

I actually am really interested in Critical Legal Theory, and it has impacted where I've applied to Law Schools. I definately want to be an attorney, have a good career, bla bla bla.  But I also wish to do some writing and perhaps be published in LS.

Pitt has some great scholars in Critical Race Theory, Miami has great scholars in LatCrit, Tulane in Queer Theory, Iowa in several types of Critical Theories.  I applied to all of these and my interests played into it.

I think that when you get away from the t14 schools, you really actually have to look closely at their programs and strengths, especially if what you want to study is not generic corporate law. 

Opinions?

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2004, 12:14:39 AM »
Louisiana rules.   

Though it doesn't compare to Miami...

I've lived in both places (currently in New Orleans) and both are culture shocks.  In Miami some parts of the city you're in Cuba North and some are flat out amazing.  In New Orleans you get the Ronnies but you're also in a hot spot for nightly entertainment and the food is excellent.  Plus the housing Uptown is a solid deal and the area around Tulane is awesome with the street cars.

Either way, both cities are quite rich with law firms.  New Orleans boasts many national firms (Adams and Reese, Jones Walker) and has a ton of small firms to control all the people without insurance.  Personal injury (high murder rate) and Maritime Law (Mississippi River) are huge. 

Miami is just a more normal place to live and a lot less backwards.  I may be heading that way if the Dec. '04 LSATs turn out as good as i hope.  If you head to Tulane, go to a Zephyrs game in Metairie.  Good times.