Law School Discussion

Rutgers: Camden vs. Newark?

bhvexille

Re: Rutgers: Camden vs. Newark?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2004, 02:27:00 PM »
Actually as a white female you're usually pretty safe in black neighborhoods.. statistically speaking, rape rarely crosses racial lines

It's us white boys who have something to worry about :(

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2004, 03:18:51 PM »
Ah, but then again, rape is not the only interpersonal crime that exists.  Who says they won't mug me?

bhvexille

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2004, 03:45:14 PM »
I was just responding to the "especially women" part

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2004, 07:12:57 PM »
And I was only alluding to the fact that women are generally smaller and weaker than men and therefore make easier targets.

DRJJ1

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2004, 07:39:08 PM »
LAUR..this is directed to you because you seem so naive and non-street wise,,you seem from your picture very suburban-like bubble living,,,those camden street girls would rip you up...keep talking like youre tough but soon enough you re gonna have to prove what you got and you better hope its not for your life...I repeat  camden and newark are badddd   try walking around there mid-noon,,,I saw this guy stabbed right on the street one time,,,another time I saw 3 guys beating up this guy  saying you better gimme that jacket boy...so don t talk tough when we can see from your picture youre just a little girly

bhvexille

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2004, 07:51:21 PM »
Statistically men are far far far more likely to be the victims of violent crime than women.. so even though you guys tend to be smaller, people also tend not to commit violent crimes against you

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2004, 07:58:06 PM »
DRJJ:

OH MY GOD! ORANGE ALERT, ORANGE ALERT!!!  OH GOD, NOT AN INNER-CITY--WE'LL DIE!!!

I lived on the Cass Corridor, one of the notoriously dangerous streets in Detroit.  There were enough shady folks, but if you stayed out of their business, they'd leave you alone.  Random crime doesn't happen a lot -- in Detroit, Camden, Baltimore, Ann Arbor, or Westchester County.  Drugs, domestic violence, gangs -- those were the big dangers when I lived in Detroit.  I didn't feel afraid.  I had friends who lived in the neighborhood (this was a few years ago).

Chill the heck out DRJJ.  I suspect you're the scared suburbanite, not Laur.  AND DON'T JUDGE PEOPLE BY THE WAY THEY LOOK!  

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2004, 08:05:48 PM »
Statistically men are far far far more likely to be the victims of violent crime than women.. so even though you guys tend to be smaller, people also tend not to commit violent crimes against you

Thank you -- I haven't heard this, but I am sure it is true.  It's just what I was saying.  Bad drug deals, gangs, money owed, abusive husbands or boyfriends -- these are the reasons for so much crime in Detroit. By and large (although it happens very occasionally) it is not random.

bhvexille

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2004, 08:07:45 PM »
It's a statistic you can find in any intro to crim. justice text book, if you're ever hanging out in your university bookstore and have some extra free time on your hands

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2004, 09:47:04 PM »
LAUR..this is directed to you because you seem so naive and non-street wise,,you seem from your picture very suburban-like bubble living,,,those camden street girls would rip you up...keep talking like youre tough but soon enough you re gonna have to prove what you got and you better hope its not for your life...I repeat camden and newark are badddd try walking around there mid-noon,,,I saw this guy stabbed right on the street one time,,,another time I saw 3 guys beating up this guy saying you better gimme that jacket boy...so don t talk tough when we can see from your picture youre just a little girly

1.  Get off your high horse.  You can tell absolutely nothing from my picture.  Not that I should ever have to explain myself to anyone, but I happen to be very dressed up in that picture because I was on a cruise with my family.  I happen to think its a very flattering picture of myself, but I'm glad that someone as ridiculous and narrow-minded as you decided to judge me as some prissy "non sweetwise" goody two shoes from looking at it.

2.  When the @#!* was I talking "tough?"  You're upset because I took the time to defend the place I grew up in?  Are you that juvenile?  Get over yourself.

3.  I've lived in a dangerous city before.  You have to be smart in order to keep yourself from getting killed or hurt or whatever.  I NEVER said that I would walk around by myself or looking like I've got nothing to prove.  That would be dumb, and yes, naive.  I am neither.

4.  Next time you have something so original and noteworthy to say to me, there's no need to address it to the crowd.

P.S.  Thanks to SleepyGuy for defending me in my absence.  That was very nice of you and I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees the a-hole for what he is.

If I have offended anyone with my post, I'm sorry.  I felt I was personally attacked and that I had to respond.  I hope you can understand.